It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #1

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
EEERRRR-So upset with my first follow-up visit w/doctor

Hello everyone

I had my first follow-up visit with my lung guy,,,the first after he told me I have Asthma. He's one of these doc's that if you don't ask the questions,,,you get no answers. Of course once I left his office I could think of 4 questions right off the bat. He did have blood drawn to check for allergies,,,gave me scripts for 3 months worth of meds and sent me on my way. He asks me,,,'do you need any scripts?' I said,,,'I have no idea. Are you changing anything?' I thought that was really odd,,,I'm not the expert here! Thank goodness I remembered to ask him how often a day I could use my neb.

I still have:

1. No idea what my green,,,yellow or red zones are.

2. No asthma action plan that I keep reading about.

3. Don't know if I have to be on meds the rest of my life.

4. Who to call if I get sick and have trouble breathing,,,him or my family
doctor.

5. No idea if I'm mild,,,moderate,,,severe,,what my 'classification' is.

6. At what point to I go to the emergency room?

Needless to say I'm going to look for another doctor. He's given me not one drop of info to read,,,nothing. Thank goodness for this message board and the internet,,,I'm self-learing here.

Just wanted to complain a tad!
There,,,I feel better!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
(female)

Solaray2 HB User
Re: EEERRRR-So upset with my first follow-up visit w/doctor

Gal4Dale88USP,

EEERRRR-So upset with my first follow-up visit w/doctor

Hello everyone

I had my first follow-up visit with my lung guy,,,the first after he told me I have Asthma. He's one of these doc's that if you don't ask the questions,,,you get no answers

Hi Gal4Dale88USP,

I can totally relate. I experience the same thing.
Its been years of searching and I still cant find a good doctor.

These doctors are in there own world.
They must see hundreds of patients a week
so you would think they would have it down pat.
There supposed to be the source of information
for providing details on conditions, treatments, etc of their specialty.

Be they seem to come across as lazy, slacking off, non caring, not qualified or knowledgable when it comes to providing
patient information, treatment, & care.

The doctor's office staff is bad enough.
They can be rude, abrupted, unhelpful,dizzy, etc.
So you hope things go better and you can get some answers
once you get past them. But unfortunately this is not the case in my experience.

Of course once I left his office I could think of 4 questions right off the bat. He did have blood drawn to check for allergies,,,gave me scripts for 3 months worth of meds and sent me on my way. He asks me,,,'do you need any scripts?' I said,,,'I have no idea. Are you changing anything?' I thought that was really odd,,,I'm not the expert here! Thank goodness I remembered to ask him how often a day I could use my neb.

I still have:

1. No idea what my green,,,yellow or red zones are.

2. No asthma action plan that I keep reading about.

3. Don't know if I have to be on meds the rest of my life.

4. Who to call if I get sick and have trouble breathing,,,him or my family
doctor.

5. No idea if I'm mild,,,moderate,,,severe,,what my 'classification' is.

6. At what point to I go to the emergency room?

Needless to say I'm going to look for another doctor. He's given me not one drop of info to read,,,nothing. Thank goodness for this message board and the internet,,,I'm self-learing here.

I am also self learning. I have learned more off the forums and web searchs than years of going to my doctors.

Last edited by Solaray2; 09-14-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: EEERRRR-So upset with my first follow-up visit w/doctor

1. THis is irrelevant. Throw the peak flow meter in the trash. It's just a gimic to give people something to talk to others about. You'll know when you're having trouble breathing.

2. You have a daily med and a rescue inhaler. If you are using your rescue inhaler too often then you need to adjust your daily med or change to a different one. Only one way to find out - try them.

3. Yes, you will be on the meds the rest of your life unless they find a cure before you die. There is none at present.

4. Depends on if your rescue inhaler doesn't help. Then call him - or his nurse. She probably knows more anyway.

5. This is also irrelevant. You have asthma. You will be on meds for the duration.

6. When your rescue inhaler doesn't work....if you are feeling that poorly. Sometimes it just takes a little time to get it under control. Everyone is different so you just have to figure out what you can tolerate and what you can't.

I don't mean the above to sound short or curt. It's just that so much of the PR out there about asthma is ridiculous...like the peak flow meter. I've had asthma for years and all that thing did for me was make me worry. So I threw it away and rely on my own self knowledge of my body. And guess what? My yearly test gets better every time now. Simply because I'm not all wound up about some number that means nothing. Get to know the doc's nurse. She;s your best resource and a lot easier to get in touch with. For an example, my sister lives in New Orleans. The first time I went back after the storm, she advised me to check with my doctor as there was syndrome going around known as "Katrina cough." Since I have allergies and asthma, I checked with my doc's nurse. She told me to double my daily inhaler for 3 days before I went and 3 days after I returned. Didn't have a bit of trouble.
Have been back twice since and stuck to my regular regimen and all was fine.
I would say I have a mild case as it is regulated with minimal meds - 1 puff of Flovent daily, albuterol as needed and 20 minutes before any cardio.(I'm a jogger). This spring when it was drought conditions here I had a coupel of nights when I woke up having trouble breathing. One puff of albuterol and I was fine. Same a couple of weeks ago during the start of ragweed season (my number one allergy). Now I'm fine. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread