It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Advair and Throat

I am one of the many that have posted and said Advair causes us to have a raspy throat that we have to constantly clear. Well, this is just an observation I have noticed for myself. I have been on the South Beach Diet for a week, where you cut out all sugar, white flour, starchy vegetables and bread, pasta etc. I have noticed a huge improvement. I was constantly clearing my throat - there always seemed to be a frog in it. - I don't know if its just a coincidence or what. But I am thinking maybe mine was partly caused by what I was eating. Maybe it was making more mucus. Whatever is the reasons, I like it!!!!

Old 06-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
Inactive

jp3892 HB User
Re: Advair and Throat

More than likely it was caused by your body getting used to the steroid. Its probably a coincidence that it coincided with the diet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2004, 06:27 PM   #3

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Howitt
Good evening!
I too was on Advair 500/50 and thought my voice disappearing whenever it wanted to was due to the Advair. Well,,,my doc changed everything over a week ago and my voice still left me. I've been doing Atkins for over a month now,,,I can't tell any link to the diet and the voice thing. One thing I am wondering is,,,it seems when I'm having a bad spell,,,that's when my voice leaves me. I'm still trying to figure all this trigger stuff out,,,but I'm wondering if that could make sense??

Old 06-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #4

LisaCA HB User

Just for the record, I have been using Advair for a little over a year now and I have not had any throat or voice troubles I've read about here. Advair works great for me with no other problems to speak of either. I am soooo thankful for the doctor that convinced me to try it. It has quite literally saved my life.

Lisa

Old 06-18-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
(female)

mladysmom HB User

lisa i too use the advair and one of the things that the package doesnt tell you , if i remember right is to hold your nose as you breathe in the spray,, i found this works wondrfull and doesnt get into my throat to cause trouble, but goes into my lungs, hope this helps sincerly Joann i am so thankful for advair as i have been able to breathe for the first time in 46 years,,, i am on the 500/50 works great,,

Old 06-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Thanks so much for that advice. I will hold my nose next time. WE do want all that Advair to go to the lungs!!!

Old 06-19-2004, 10:34 PM   #7
(female)

disintegration HB User

I had the same reaction to advair and I finally figured out what it was. I also figured out what the corrilation between low carb diets and the sore throat. Advair contains the steriod and one must be very carful to rinse your mouth out as well as garggling after use. The sore throat seems the be the beginning stages of Thrush which is a yeast infection of the mouth and is a side effect of advair. So, be very careful when you take the advair to rinse your mouth and throat. (I have had Thrush twice, its no fun) Now, with a low-carb diet ones mouth tends to get dry. (I know mine did, it was like I had a sweater in there) When the mouth gets dry, the candida balance is interuppted and Thrush is eminant and when you add a steriod it makes it worse. When taking advair and being on a low carb diet eat somr yogurt or other things that has acidophilis (sp?) They make low-carb versions now. At least thats what helped me!

Old 06-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #8

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Hello!
I've been on a low carb diet for 2 months now,,,Advair also. I brush my teeth and gargle after each dose,,,never had a problem with Thrush thank goodness.
I found out something interesting about loosing my voice. My new doc told me Thursday that when I'm loosing my voice,,,I'm most likely in a restricted state. On me,,,everything restricts,,,including my vocal cords and throat. I couldn't figure out why I'm still on the same meds and my voice just came back. Makes alot of sense,,,I connected the voice and the attacks,,,thought I might of ben crazy,,,but I guess I'm not! (matter of opinion! LOL)

Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
(male)

mebob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mladysmom View Post
lisa i too use the advair and one of the things that the package doesnt tell you , if i remember right is to hold your nose as you breathe in the spray,, i found this works wondrfull and doesnt get into my throat to cause trouble, but goes into my lungs, hope this helps sincerly Joann i am so thankful for advair as i have been able to breathe for the first time in 46 years,,, i am on the 500/50 works great,,
I've used Advair for my emphysema for about 3 1/2 years and had no voice problems until about 6 months ago. Now whenever I use Advair for more than a few days my voice all but disappears. If I stop using Advair for about 3 days my voice returns to normal. But, of course I need the Advair to be able to breathe better. My Doctor put me on Spiriva but that did not work at all for me. Albuterol does help me breath better but does not work as well as Advair. I'll try your suggestion about holding my nose when I take Advair. Thanks!!

Old 09-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
(female)

Janster HB User

I've been using Advair for about 3 months and am going to stop taking it (per doc's request). He prescribed Singulair for me instead.

I've always 'cleared my throat' after eating (no diets here) and have always had post nasal drip in the back of my throat especially at night....(I take Allegra D to help control it).

After 1 month of taking Advair - my throat began feeling sore. Then about a week later, I was clearing my throat constantly and my post nasal drip was constant and really bad to the point the mucus was building up in my mouth where I had to swallow. My stomach would be full of mucus and I'd feel nautious.

My last puff of Advair was this morning.... I'm hoping the Singulair will continue to help.

Closed Thread