It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Inactive

Rickhard HB User
12 days w/o Flovent. This after I started eating oats and ground flax seed

I was eating ground flax seed for three weeks. I was putting it in my oatmeal. Then I started cooking it with the oats. I cup oats, 1/2 cup ground flax seed and 2 cups water. I boil them for five mintues. On June 23 i stopped taking Flovent[i was on two puffs of 110mcg daily] No symptoms or attacks since. I still have my albuterol rescue inhaler handy. Check with your doctor before stopping any medications. My breathing is relaxed. I can inhale quite deeply. I do a lot of exercise. Please learn more about eating ground flax seed's many health benefits. I reccommend boiling it with oats. It's cheap if you buy it whole and grind it yourself. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 10:22 AM   #2

john123 HB User
Smile Re: 12 days w/o Flovent. This after I started eating oats and ground flax seed

I will definately have to try this. I don't have any preventative meds, just albuterol inhaler for my exercise induced asthma. Im gonna give these seeds a shot, maybe in the long run they'll help me get into the naval academy...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
Re: 12 days w/o Flovent. This after I started eating oats and ground flax seed

I found that ground flaxseed actually made me worse=(
My mom started using it in her cooking & I developed a horrible rash shortly after.. but if it is working for you then by all means keep doing it!!=) Keep us updated=)

Old 07-18-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

Blondie15. You should see an allergist and make sure it was the flax seed that caused your rash. I have read there is the possibility of an allergic reaction, but it is supposed to be extremely rare. I stopped using Flovent on June 23, 2004. I've only had to use my albuterol rescue inhaler one time since then. I didn't have a full fledged attack, but I was wheezing a little and the noise drives me nuts. My air flow was still in good shape, but I don't like listening to the sound as I exhale. I was diagnosed with asthma when I was a young child. I would get it often if I exercised. Cats would trigger it, too. I kept exercising and as i got older I had attacks less and less frequently. I didn't go on medicine full time until about seven years ago. So this is the best I've done in quite awhile. You are never cured of asthma, but as long as i eat the flax seed, I believe my need for medication will be minimal. i didn't consult my doctor before stopping the Flovent. I wouldn't have stopped if I didn't still have my albuterol rescue inhaler. I would suggest you talk with your doctor or an allergist before changing your medication, if you are on something. Take care.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I'm allergic to a lot of way out there things- bandaids, for example lol. Allergy tests showed allergies to dogs, cats, dust, ragweed & grass.. I think that's all of it! But the list of things that trigger a skin reaction is much longer. I can't go off of Clarinex or I start itching all over & get sores on my scalp.
Exercising helps and hurts me, depending on where I do it. I'm a gymnast & there are literally piles of dust in the gym, so I do horribly during gymnastics season. However in my super clean health club, I really see improvements in my airway function=). Outside, i'm allergic to grass & ragweed so I can't run, I hate that! I've just always had lots of allergies since I was younger, it runs in the family. Mostly skin but in the past few years i've had other problems =(. I'm hoping I can still grow out of them though!=)
I do try to eat whole grain everything though, pasta, bread, rice, stuff like that. It just tastes better if you ask me! I've started a real dislike for white sugary stuff since. You know what I mean?

Old 07-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #6
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

July 25. I used my albuterol inhaler for the third time since June 23. This time it was for shortness of breath. I still haven't had a full fledged attack, but I am getting a little disappointed that i need it at all. Im still eating the cup of oats and half cup of ground flax seed[flaxmeal] everyday. I'm confident I can get by with occasional albuterol versus daily Flovent. I am on a very good nutrition program overall. I take a multivitamin/mineral supplement, too. I do lots of exercise. I live with three cats. They belonged to my girlfriend who became my wife. I would never live with cats if the choice was mine. my wife offered to give them to other people but I told her I could deal with them. When I first moved in, I had all kinds of trouble. I tried a lot of different asthma medicines and finally did the best on Flovent. I think for the flax to get me off all asthma meds, the cats would have to go, but I'm still not willing to do that to my wife. Occasional use is better than daily use, I think. I don't know what the chemical structure of albuterol is versus Flovent, but I think less is better, overall. I'll have to do some research on that. Good luck to you. If the flax doesn't help your asthma, there are a lot of other health benefits to eating it. Please check out the flax websites. It's just excellent nutrition in general. the Omega 3 essential fatty acids seem to be helping me a lot. I have probably been deficient in Omega 3 all my life until eating the flax meal.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:48 PM   #7
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

on july 28, i started doing something i used to do that helped with my allergies. i've had chronic asthma and allergies since early childhood. one time i was working at the horse racetrack. all the dust and hay and horse dander wreacked havoc with my allergies. i took medicine daily. i started drinking a gallon of water a day. soon i was able to get off allergy medicine. my asthma was dormant at this time. when i was young i would go long periods of time between attacks. asthma didnt become a horrible problem until i moved in w/girlfriend and three cats. ive been on prescription asthma medicine since '97'. i tried switching from flovent to albuterol because i was tired of using medicine everyday. my goal is to get off all meds. right now i'm only drinking 96 ounces of water, 48 ounces before riding the bike for an hour and 48 ounces after. i drink 40ounes of milk a day, too. it's too early to determine if this will work. i'll keep you updated. i use flonase only when i have attacks of sneezing[it's not supposed to work unless you use it everyday, but it does for me] i hope to get off all meds, even including protoix for acid reflux disease. since cooking flaxmeal with oats i've significantly reduced or eliminated all meds but protonix, this includes antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. good luck

Old 08-07-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Rickhard - can you give us an update?

I suddenly had an epiphany this afternoon that maybe flaxseed oil was what I needed to get me back onto an even keel with my breathing problems. I was taking flaxseed (1 gram at either end of the day) for about five months between last December and April and it suddenly dawned on me that my breathing difficulties coincided with stopping the flaxseed oil. I was taking the supplement to help combat dryness caused by the accutane that I was using to help my acne. When I finished the accutane I stopped taking the flaxseed too. Maybe my respiratory system had grown dependent on it somehow. Do you think this is possible Rickhard?

I didn't realise flaxseed oil's association with the treatment of allergy symptoms and asthma, but you're right that lots of sources agree that it can help. I just went out especially to buy some more and I hope I see an improvement from it whilst on holiday next week because my breathlessness is really getting me down now

Old 08-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

Hi. I try to keep checking back on subjects I've posted on. I'm continuing to do very well in the allergy and asthma department. Since July 28 I have taken absolutely no allergy or asthma meds and my breathing has been excellent. So that's twelve days. On July 28 I started drinking more water, too. I doubled my consumption on exercise days from 48 oz to 96 oz. On non exercise days, i'm drinking only 48 oz[the reccommended six 8 ounce glasses] I drink about 40 oz of 1% milk everyday. I get a lot of fluids. That seems to be helping, too. I'd drink skim milk, but my wife can't handle it and there's not a lot of space in our frig. I've never used flaxseed oil so have no personal input. I've heard good things about it. In my 1/2 cup of ground flax there shoud be about 1 and 1/2 tbsps of oil. If I took the oil, that is how much I would take. I started with one tbsp of ground flax and gradually increased it over a three week period. I started noticing effects on my energy level at a 1/4 cup, but it didn't start helping my asthma until I got up to a 1/2 cup. I'm drinking only filtered water. Backdating to my original post, I have only used my albuterol inhaler three times. I only used Flonase when I had an allergy attack, about once every six days. These past twelve days is the longest i've gone without an allergy attack without medication in many years. I live with 3 cats I'm highly allergic to. It's not like I'm living in an allergen free environment. The ground flax seeds have protein and lots of fiber and they are a lot cheaper than buying the oil. I've got my morning routine down now. I boil two cups of water, add a cup of oats, grind a 1/4 cup of seeds, which makes a half cup and cook it for about ten minutes. It is so easy to remember to do it when it is the first thing you do each day. Please read more on the effects of the seeds versus the oil. I think the ground seeds have more health benefits, but I'm not knocking the oil at all. I have read that if you are taking a daily aspirin you should probably stop if you are going to consume flax oil or seeds as they do thin the blood. Check with your doctor if this applies.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Cheers for replying dude I have now been back on the flaxseed capsules (2 x 1000mg) for eight days now and I am afraid I haven't experienced an improvement I was on holiday last week in Greece and I felt better at times but I attribute that to the drier atmosphere compared to the untypically humid weather we're having in the UK. But I don't understand why the weather is making a difference because my problems started way back in April when the weather was miserable.

I am holding out hope that the flaxseed will start to help. You never know!

Old 09-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

september 3, 2004
i've used flovent one time since july 28. i used my albuterol inhaler three times between june 21 and july 27. i'm continuing to eat a 1/2 cup a day of ground flax seeds with my oatmeal. on july 28 i significantly increased my water. on days i exercise i drink 3 liters minimum. nonexercise days at least 1.5 liters. the flax seeds have more nutrients than the oil. in addition to flax, i believe everyone w/asthma should remain hydrated at all times. a little too much water is better than a little too little. i exercise at least 60 minutes six times a week. i need one day off[usually sundays]i drink 40 oz. 1% milk almost everyday, occasional diet soda, no fruit juice[too much sugar], a little spinach and carrot juice. i eat lots of oranges and bananas. fruits and vegs contain a lot of water, but its hard to measure. i'll update this post again. good luck to you. don't ever throw your meds away. i'm not.

Closed Thread