It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #1

hilfgirl33 HB User
Does heat and/or humidity cause asthma to be worse?

My 4 year old son has just been dx with asthma, and I'm having trouble grasping it. He doesn't cough much at all, but does have trouble playing soccor and exercising in the heat (red face, stamina problems - no significant coughing). He was dx by two different allergists with mild asthma (not exercise induced).

His biggest trigger seems to be the heat. He has no stamina in the heat. Is this common and why? I am trying really hard to understand this and learn his signals (he is NOT good at communicating to me any of his allergy/asthma problems). Right now, he looks like he's in a stupor in the heat, his face is red and he is very lethargic. Does that sound like it's from asthma?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: Does heat and/or humidity cause asthma to be worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilfgirl33
My 4 year old son has just been dx with asthma, and I'm having trouble grasping it. He doesn't cough much at all, but does have trouble playing soccor and exercising in the heat (red face, stamina problems - no significant coughing). He was dx by two different allergists with mild asthma (not exercise induced).

His biggest trigger seems to be the heat. He has no stamina in the heat. Is this common and why? I am trying really hard to understand this and learn his signals (he is NOT good at communicating to me any of his allergy/asthma problems). Right now, he looks like he's in a stupor in the heat, his face is red and he is very lethargic. Does that sound like it's from asthma?

Thanks for any help.
Yes, asthma does tend to get worse in humidity/heat, but I'm not sure why. The most logical explanation I can come up with for heat is that it dries out the airways, but I could be wrong. You're better off asking the allergist about it.

As for right now, his lethargy may be from dehydration/heat exhaustion, or it could be the beginnings of asthma. Get some fluids into him immediately - Gatorade is best, but water works. If you have Pedialyte, that would work also. Keep a close eye on him for the rest of the day, especially on his breathing. If he gets worse, bring him to the ER.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran

reader1 HB User

Fatigue is common for folks with allergies and asthma. Essentially one's immune system goes into overdrive with the allergies; asthma often means that one is not getting a normal supply of oxygen or at the very least the body is working very hard to get the oxygen, again resulting in fatigue.

I have had terrible allergic asthma all my life. A nurse I have known since I was ten years old says she can remember when I figured out that if I drank extra water before I went outside, it helped to mitigate my allergic/asthmatic responses. Maybe it's the extra "work" the body does to fight the response that necessitates more liquids, I don't know.

The Academy for Allergy, Asthma and Immunology offers tips for parents on things like this. But of course, be sure to talk with your child's doctor.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Heat can definitely cause fatigue and humidity probably adds to that ten-fold. It would also depend on WHERE he's having soccer games...is it in a park, are there exhaust fumes, is the air very fragrant, is there high pollution, does he have insect repellent on, does he have sunscreen on? is he wearing 100% polyester clothing?....etc.

I would suggest your son NOT be encouraged to do long stints of exercise or exhaustion in the heat/humidity..etc. until it's determined as to why -- it can be hard on his system if he can't cool down properly.

Is he overweight at all? What medications is he on?

Some people just can't handle the heat...I can't, and it's just a suggestion to limit overexertion....I'm not saying NOT to be out, just to not overdo it...

Make sure you discuss it with the doctor so that other possibilities are not overlooked (assuming it's asthma).

I hope it's resolved and that your son is able to enjoy an active life.

Best to you,
quincy

Old 07-24-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Inactive

LooksLikeRain HB User

when it's really cold it can also be bad. when i was skiing i had a sort-of asthma attack on the hill because we had to carry our skis down the hill (LONG LONG story, lol) but i got to ride down on the snowmobile. my point is that weather "extremes" can make it worse too

Closed Thread