It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #1

TimG HB User
Asthma or Anxiety!!!?? :(!

Hello everyone Im new
Well i am 20 y/o and I dont know if this is anxiety or asthma.
I have shortness of breath, and confusion, thats about it.
My doc gave me a chest xray, peak flow test, and this thing i breathe in and it graphs it.
all the tests came out fine!
he told me to go to a pulminologist if i keep having trouble, but he said it was probably anxiety.
I have had this problem for the past 2 years, I also have ocd which keeps me in fear of being
short of breath. But sometimes it does not seem like a fear My throat feels like it is
tightened up and short of breath like crazy.
sometimes when I dont think about it it goes away , but most of the time it doesnt.
and sometimes when i think about it, the symptoms surface.
argg! please help me ! thanks
-Tim

Old 09-26-2004, 04:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User
Re: Asthma or Anxiety!!!?? :(!

hello

if you are still worried that you may have asthma then try keeping a record of your peak flows morning and evening, any drops, normaly in the morning, are indicative of asthma. Also if you do go and see a pulmonogist it will give them more information to go on.
Hope that helps a little
Blue
x x x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #3

traugs HB User
Exclamation Re: Asthma or Anxiety!!!?? :(!

If you want to know if it is anxiety or if it is asthma, have your doc order a methacholine challenge test.

This is a pulmonary function test that is used to determine if someone has asthma. If your FEV1% decreases after exposure to the methacholine, chances are you have asthma.

Also, your doc could prescribe an antianxiety pill for when you have this attack. If it helps, then maybe it isn't asthma.

1 last thing, it is very VERY possible you suffer from both asthma and anxiety, in which case you should use medication for both the asthma and the anxiety.

Your doc should do more studies to provide you with the best possible care and diagnosis.

best to ya

~amanda

Old 10-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #4

Blue102 HB User

Hey, I have the same thing. I got the breathing test done, and the doc put me on Zoloft. I've had anxiety issues in the past so I guess he figured that's what it was. I've been taking the Zoloft erratically because I didn't believe the doc that that's what it was. It doesn't feel like it! I thought my doc was a quack, but if there are other people who've been told the same thing, maybe he's right. Maybe it is anxiety...I'll start taking the meds right and see if it helps.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #5

Blue102 HB User

PS--I have mild OCD too. Maybe it's all related.

Closed Thread