It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User
Do you ever outgrow asthma and what is it with this cough?

I was dx as having asthma when I was in 4th grade. I took medication (pills and pump) until I was 22yrs of age. I quit having problems with my asthma and just assumed I outgrew it. When asked about my medical history when I got pregnant I mentioned the asthma and I was told you never outgrow it, it just becomes dormant. Well here I am 31 yr of age and as of last yr I developed that cough that just lingers. When I am sick it produces infected phlem; when I am well it produces clear plem. This cough is very annoying. You would think I was a smoker by the way I sound. Is this my asthma wanting to make a comeback? I am not experiencing the wheezing but i a getting the itchy back and chin.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
(female)

Countrymouse HB User
Re: Do you ever outgrow asthma and what is it with this cough?

txcntrygrl, what you just said sounds like a page right out of my own past. I had asthma growing up but at about 23 yrs old, it just seemed to fade away. I wasn't taking anymore pills or using my inhalor and I was doing fine. I wondered if the "you'll outgrow it" was really true too. Then when I was about 33 I developed a cough that just would not quit. It sounded horrible, people in stores would stop and stare it was so bad. I coughed like that for a whole year before my GP doctor and my pulminologist finally got me on the right meds to keep it under control. And yes, it most definitely was my asthma making a major come back. I had wheezing as a child but that part of it has only just started to come back in the last year, and I'm 39 now. I certainly hope your dr. is able to get your cough under control faster than mine did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

OMG Countrymouse! Thank you for replying. I better get in and talk to my dr asap. I know what you mean about everyone looking at you because your cough is uncontrollable. I was in Wal Mart on Saturday and had a cough attack. i was nearly in tears from all of the coughing. I had to grab a bag of cough drops, open it, and take one just to stop my coughing. I had heard that developing asthma when you are an adult it becomes more serious. I wonder if that includes me considering I had it all my childhood.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
(female)

Countrymouse HB User

Ack, I know. It's bad when you're coughing so hard you're about doubled over, and your eyes are watering. People are asking if you're okay, and you can't stop coughing long enough to answer them. Definitely get in to see your dr. and let them know what's going on. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
(female)

Sucha HB User

One of you mentioned the itchy back and chin...my daughter has asthma, and sometimes when she coughs she gets an itchy back too...I didn't realize others had this too, since it never happens to me (but then I dont have asthma). Do either of you cough also when you are eating ice cream or milk shakes? She does that too.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
(female)

Countrymouse HB User

Sucha, I also have the itchy feeling on my back between the shoulder blades and under my chin when my astma is flaring up. It happened more when I was a child than it does now, but still does occassionally. I also cough/clear my throat after eating almost any kind of dairy product. From what I've read in different places online, I think that's fairly common. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 09-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #7

Goldar HB User

I also cough after drinking ice cream or milk shakes. Also sometimes when I drink cold sodas. It's only ice cream and milk shakes that make me cough. Not other dairy products.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
(female)

Sucha HB User

Hi!
That is interesting, I just thought it was something odd about my daughter LOL. Do you have allergies and the itchy nose and eyes too? She does , but refuses to take any of the allergy medicine the Dr has prescribed. I do make her take her Advair though (she is 11).

Old 09-30-2004, 10:01 PM   #9
(female)

Countrymouse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucha
Hi!
Do you have allergies and the itchy nose and eyes too?
I've never had much trouble with an itchy nose from my allergies, but boy did my eyes used to itch. They itched like crazy and would get so red, puffy and watery, that nothing seemed to make them feel better but a cold compress. I'm so glad I don't have those problems anymore with the allergy meds I take now (Clarinex). Does your daughter have side effects from her allergy meds that makes her not want to take them?

Old 11-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #10

NoMoreAsthma HB User

I am a 23 year old and I had pretty bad asthma when I was in elementary school. I do not recall having an asthma attack anytime after elementary school and was told by my doctor that I outgrew it. Last year I noticed I had a hard time breathing whenever I exerted myself physically. I thought maybe it was because I was just getting over a cold. I went to the doctor's and they conducted an asthma assessment on me and found out that I had asthma again. From what they told me, you can outgrow it but you never completely outgrow it. It can be triggered at any time. When I learned about my asthma coming back I went and researched on the topic and found MEDLine to be very helpful. It's part of the U.S National Library of Medicine system. Attached to this is two links that some may find helpful. One focuses on Pediatric Asthma and the other focuses on Asthma in general. Let me know what you think about this site. There is a lot of useful information.

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000990.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000141.htm[/url]

Old 11-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
(female)

Sucha HB User

Countrymouse- sorry for the delay in reply. There really weren't any side effects from the zyrtec it just wasnt working. as for the new pills and the flonase, she just didn't want to take the flonase anymore, beacuse it had a bad "taste" to it. The pills she did'nt want to take because she thinks she is like her father, who can't swallow pills. So she won't even try anymore, after trying to swallow some in the hospital and vomiting since it made her gag....so I'm not sure what to do- as now she is just all stuffy all the time.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:10 PM   #12

jon11jon11jon HB User

I am new to this site and actually signed up to see if I can find anything about outgrowing asthma as my little girl had asthma when she was a baby but she is now 4 and luckily she has not had an attack in over 2 years. I have talked to some friends and they have said that people can outgrow asthma but from reading your reply, it seems like it can come back anytime. The links you provided were very helpful, especially the one pertaining directly to children with asthma. I actually searched further on that website you provided and found other useful information. They have this whole section that has the latest news dealing with asthma in children(http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/asthmainchildren.html). I read some articles and it is amazing how much information is available out on the Internet. It's just that anyone can show stuff on the Internet and it may not always be true or accurate. The site you provided is part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine so I guess we can say the information is pretty accurate. Have you ever found any wrong or misleading information on this website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAsthma
I am a 23 year old and I had pretty bad asthma when I was in elementary school. I do not recall having an asthma attack anytime after elementary school and was told by my doctor that I outgrew it. Last year I noticed I had a hard time breathing whenever I exerted myself physically. I thought maybe it was because I was just getting over a cold. I went to the doctor's and they conducted an asthma assessment on me and found out that I had asthma again. From what they told me, you can outgrow it but you never completely outgrow it. It can be triggered at any time. When I learned about my asthma coming back I went and researched on the topic and found MEDLine to be very helpful. It's part of the U.S National Library of Medicine system. Attached to this is two links that some may find helpful. One focuses on Pediatric Asthma and the other focuses on Asthma in general. Let me know what you think about this site. There is a lot of useful information.

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000990.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000141.htm[/url]

Closed Thread