It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Unhappy High heart rate due to broncitus(with asthma)

Hi , has anyone else had a rather high heart rate (doctor said it was racing )due to asthma or broncitus ? And befor you ask ...no meds in my system at the time . I just came from the walk in clinic. And the doctor told me that I had broncirus and a very high heart rate ..the broncitus was no suprise but the heart rate being high was . My chest is really sore from coughing but on the right side (not left).He gave me a few percriptions , zpack, pergnasoze(you know the one that kills your stomach and makes you hungaery all at once...ok my spelling kills toingh ) plus tylonol#3for the pain and he upped my puffers too .my peek flow is only at 260 ish and it's usually at 450 on a good day ........yup i'm a wreck .Off to bed for me ! But if any of you have had the heart thing from asthma or broncitus ..do tell please (i'm only34!).Ciao and thank you in advanced !!

Old 09-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #2

WendyRose HB User
Re: High heart rate due to broncitus(with asthma)

My goodness E!! Hope you feel better soon. I know nothing cept that I wanted to wish you better health!! Take Care!!

Last edited by WendyRose; 09-30-2004 at 08:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #3

cupcake118 HB User

I have a constantly high heart rate that is directly related to all the meds i take for my asthma, as i'm sure you know the albuterol will increase your heart rate some too. Also i do find when i am having more difficulty breathing my heart rate tends to increase some and it seems the higher it gets the quicker my O2 sats fall. I hope you are feeling better

Old 09-30-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

Countrymouse HB User

Hi engineer1961, just wondering exactly how high your pulse was? My pulse will race sometimes even before I load up on my meds, and albuterol will usually does speed it up a bit. Without being affected by meds I think the fastest mine has ever been is @ 130 bpm. I was just to the dr last night myself with a sinus infection, upper resp infection and ear infection, luckily no bronchitis this time. My doc also put me on Zpac, Decadron (which I take in place of prednisone), and tussinex cough syrup. This morning my pulse was 118 bpm.

Do you know what your pulse runs normally? Hope you are feeling better soon and can get that peek flow back up. Take care and keep us posted.

Old 09-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Noclue what my normal heart rate is and the doctor never gave me the rate just that it was "very high ".The Prednisone is starting to help i think, I'm breathing easier plus my PFM is higher today.The tylonol #3 is helping with the pain too (plus my husband will not let me out of bed .......yes he's gone to the store to buy me some OJ so i snuck in here ....a tad over protective but sweet none the less .Thank you all for your replies . I really think my heart rate was just up from all the damm caughing fits!

Old 09-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
(female)

Countrymouse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1961
I really think my heart rate was just up from all the damm caughing fits!
Very well could be. My BP was up yesterday and that's exactly what the nurse said, that is was probably high due to all the coughing. Take care, and back to bed!

Old 10-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Hi,

Everytime I go to doctor the say my heart rate is up even when it is in the 90's. I moved several yrs ago to a high altitude city hence low oxygen. I don't recall when I lived at higher altitude being told my heart rate was high. I've not had any drs relate it to asthma, though I have chronic asthma. I notice my rate does got up a lot though when I use albuterol though it is high even when I don't use more than Singulair. My drs always comment that I must be nervous which I'm not. The increaded rate being related to lack of oxygen makes more sense though. I am 35 BTW and not some old fart.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

one of the symptoms of asthma is having a high heart rate. When your lungs aren't taking in enough oxygen then the heart has to work extra hard to get o2 to all the bits which need it. That is probably why your heart rate was up.
Take it easy and I hope you are feeling beter soon.
Blue

Old 10-17-2004, 02:42 PM   #9

cupcake118 HB User

another issue that can cause a high heart rate are your controller meds such as advair, because of the long acting bronchiodialtors in them. I know for me my normal resting heart rate is never less than 100, and i'm only 18, and my docs tell me it's not a real concern i just need to watch it closely if i'm doing a lot of breathing treatments.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User

Does anyone know if Singulair or Zyrtec increase heart rate? That's the only thing I take on daily basis. I only use Advair for flareups and then MaxAir inhaler or Albuterol in nebulizer for attacks.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

As I said in the begining .....I wasn't on any meds at the time ( i'm suposed to be on Advar and flovent..supsoed to being the key word there ) and I hadn't taken my ventolinin manyhours (it was at home and I was at the walkin clinic for 3.5 hours before seeing the doctor).But is good to know that there are others with the same problem !!

Closed Thread