It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 PM   #1

katie87 HB User
Question Sick building syndrome

Has anyone had experience trying to prove sick building syndrome? Thanks

Old 10-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Sick building syndrome

I tried once in the area where I was working.....the custodian finally told me to see a shrink.

Don't be surprised if you hear that often.

People who are sensitive to environmental/building pollution will one day be heeded.....we're like the canaries they used to use in the mines.

I had a doctor tell me once...we just don't know what to do with patients like you. As defeating as it was to hear...it was also confirmation that I wasn't going crazy. There are places I just can't handle, and I limit my times in those environments. I can't change the place.

Best to you,
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #3

iriscristata HB User
Talking Re: Sick building syndrome

I have heard of this. In fact, my former co-workers a couple of years ago complained of this. The building was very old and only 2 of the windows would open. After extensive testing, it was concluded that there wasn't anything in the building that _should_ make anyone ill. The tests were very expensive, like a few thousand dollars.

A few years later, another building was renovated and my co-workers moved. They seemed to heal almost over night, with the exception of one that actually had surgery to correct the issue that caused her to cough continously. That was the main reason the building was tested - several of co-workers coughed ALL the time.

As for me, I had a few sinus infections and just felt bad all the time. I quit the job and left the building and felt much better. It was while I was working at this building that I had my first asthma attack and it took months for my body to get back to 'normal'. I do contribute most of my sickness to the building, even though, there was nothing that _should_ make me ill. Granted, I can't run down the list of things that was tested becuase I don't remember all of them, but dust and fresh air were on that list. Afterwards, we started opening the 2 windows and we seemed to 'feel' better. Maybe it was the fresh air, maybe it was just needing new air instead of the old, stale air. I wasn't offically diagnosed with asthma at the time, even though we did just about every test available to figure out what was wrong with me and could find nothing. My physican labeled it as 'bronchitis' and we left it at that.

Either way, the scientific diagnosis said that no one shoudl have an issue with the building, but amazingly after leaving the place, I no longer had any issues at all with asthma (see my post about living non-medicated for over 6 years). One co-worker had surgery and was ok, and the other one was 'ok' after she moved to the newly renovated building. I can't say for certain that the new building was a cure or not, since I wasn't there, but I can say that I no longer had any issues with asthma, allergies or even the common cold after I was away from that building.

You can request different tests to be done on your building. But, who you call and how you go about it is another post for someone else that might know. Since I was a state employee, we had our own environmental quality department that was able to assist us.

If this helps to make any connections, the back of this building faced the busiest downtown street in the state with a speed limit of 35. So there were plenty of exhaust fumes near us and the new building was pretty isolated. I have read that exhaust can trigger dfferent things.

I would look on the EPA.gov site for info.

Good luck to you and I hope you can find some more information on this.

Last edited by iriscristata; 10-20-2004 at 05:55 PM.

Closed Thread