It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 07:05 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Kids with Asthma

My son was diagnosed 2 years ago at 5 years old. Sounds like we have had the same problem with getting the diagnosis. I finally made him an appointment with a pediatric pulmonologist after a one night hospital stay due to dehydration (from the coughing fits). They gave him a few breathing treatments too. Anyway - enough waiting on the peditrician to make the referral, so I called and got him in. Since then - we have had to adjust medications based on his PFT (pulmunary function tests), but I think we finally have his asthma under control. This doc was AWESOME. He immediately saw from the xrays that his smaller airways were inflamed and his PFT scores were low (mainly in the smaller airways as well) - which was great because he said the damage was reversible. He also found out that my son had been having some stomach issues as well - so he referred us onto a GI doc (in the same children's hospital). Well - after a combined scope (endoscopy and bronchoscopy - yes the doctors worked together so he only had to be put to sleep once), we found out my son had severe acid reflux which is what caused his asthma and was triggering the asthma problems now. So undiagnosed acid reflux causes asthma!!!!
Now for current meds: Nexium 40mg, Singulair 5 mg, and Qvar inhaler 80mcg every morning and Zyrtec 10 mg at night along with a pepcid ac if his tummy hurts. I think coming from being on tons of medicine along with spells of prednisilone and cough medicine when it would get bad - we are at a manageable level of medicines and his issues are resolved.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread