It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #1

Blue102 HB User
Is this asthma or something else?

I have been having trouble breathing occasionally. I have episodes where I gasp and yawn because I feel as if I cannot get enough oxygen. I feel lightheaded, sometimes as if I'm about to pass out. This happens only occasionally, often while I'm in my car, sometimes at home. The episodes last for about 30 minutes and then dissipate. I've been to a doctor, and he gave me a breathing test and told me I don't have asthma, and then put me on pills for anxiety (which don't seem to work.) Does this sound like asthma to anyone? If it doesn't, what might it be? An allergy? It is frightening at times. Please lend your opinion!

Old 10-26-2004, 09:47 AM   #2
(female)

Countrymouse HB User
Re: Is this asthma or something else?

This might be totally off base but have you had your car checked out lately? If the majority of your problems are happening while you're in the car, there might be something there that is causing your proplems such as a leak in the exhaust system letting fumes seep into the car or something like that. Just a thought.

Last edited by Countrymouse; 10-26-2004 at 09:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I don't know what it is but I have been having the same problem for about 6 weeks. At that time, I started raking leaves and thought that I was developing an allergy. However, it occurs at times that I am not outside and does not occur when I am.

I have tried to take allergy medication: Flonase and an inhaler. It works somewhat.

I think it must be anxiety because when it happens, I notice that my breathing seems to be more shallow.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #4

Blue102 HB User

I had another attack today, and got fed up. I went to the Urgent Care Clinic. The doc there gave me another breathing test and told me I probably had a mild form of asthma, most likely caused by mold (I recently moved into an apartment with nasty old carpet, go figure! That would also explain why I get it in the car.) He gave me an inhaler and some Allegra. I'll keep you guys posted if it works.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:34 PM   #5

josephinius HB User

Hi. I'm new to all of this--but just wanted to say--it's kind of nice to know I'm not alone!

For about a year, I've noticed I'll have prolonged periods (like, weeks,) where I will feel like I need to take a really deep breath, or yawn, every minute or so. I've noticed some say they can't seem to GET the breath (which would really drive me crazy.) I at least can--but I feel sometimes like I'm beating myself up internally from the force of it. Plus, my heart also seems to be racing as if I'd had three or four lattes or something with ephedra in it. The combination leaves me exhausted and though I'm guessing anxiety doesn't help, I find myself, particularly by the end of the day, almost desperate for it to go away.

I did mention it to my doctor about six months ago and she said it could be asthma, but it wasn't happening then and didn't happen for a long while, even after I exercised (which seemed to be what triggered it the first time I remember it happening,) so I didn't pursue it. I am not a big fan of doctors or drugs--and it seems like things go away just as soon as I make an appointment.

I guess my question might be--does this kind of thing get worse? Is there harm in not getting it treated?

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #6

Blue102 HB User

We had the mold people come and rip out the moldy wall in our AC closet and clean our AC vents. I'm also taking the Allegra and using my inhaler quite frequently, but I'm still having trouble breathing. I'm thinking I might be allergic to my cat. I don't know what would happen if I just let this go. I wonder if it causes permanent lung damage! But I'm a bit of a worrier (that's why I hang out on the Healthboards site, I guess. )

Oh, I had a really scary experience the other night. I guess I got really drunk (I've since sworn off alcohol). I started having an asthma attack or whatever, and I used my inhaler like 13 times! (That's very bad, ya'll. I guess those things cause heart attacks and stuff if overused.) Then I started hyperventilating and having a panic attack. I don't even remember any of this. My husband told me. I'm actually quite upset with him for not getting me medical help. I woke up in the morning shaking like a leaf. I almost went to the emergency room. Word to the wise: don't use your inhaler by yourself while drunk!

Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #7

Blue102 HB User

Update, in case anyone is curious... Final diagnosis, "Vocal cord dysfunction." Weirrrrrrrrd. Look it up on Google...

Old 11-27-2004, 01:12 AM   #8

americansage HB User
Lightbulb Re: Is this asthma or something else?

Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome

Do you have the follow symptoms (not all inclusive):

"air hunger"
"feel like breathing through a straw or get enough air"
"chest tight or hurts"
"back muscles hurt or tight"
"rapid breathing"
"dizzy"
"panicky"
"deep breath attempts just stop"
"sigh alot or yawn alot to get satisfying breath"
"when you do get a deep breath satisfaction only last a few minutes"
"lump in the throat"
"chest muscles and back muscles feel tired"

If you have seen lots of doctors and they do not know what is wrong with you because all the tests say your normal or they say you suffering from stress and give you medication or tell you to see a psychiatrist. Ask them about CHS. Many doctors do not know about CHS because as you can see the above symptoms can also be a result of more serious conditions and it is difficult to diagnose CHS. There is even some argument CHS actually exists, but it is very real for those of us that suffer from it. You are not crazy. Google Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome and you will see it is a real condition with some real treatment options. I have not pursued any of the treatment options b/c I think I can lick this myself since I know what I have now. Knowledge is half the battle. I searched for 2 years for an answer and finally a way out. Good luck. Hopefully this helps.
american sage

Old 12-10-2004, 04:42 AM   #9

Blue102 HB User

Interesting...those are all symptoms I have. I'll look it up. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Flgirl,

How were you diagnosed with vocal cord dysfunction? Is that something serious?

Old 12-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #11

Blue102 HB User

When I went to the allergist, they tested me for everything under the sun, and I wasn't allergic to ANYTHING... nor did I really have asthma, per se, just a lot of trouble catching a deep breath from time to time. After we eliminated all the possibilities, it came down to that.
No, it's not serious... it's related to anxiety, which I have had a lot of in the past. It's not exactly an anxiety attack, though. It didn't FEEL like anxiety, and that's why I was skeptical when the first doctor put me on Zoloft. Basically, some mechanism in my brain makes my vocal cords squeeze up sometimes and makes me not be able to breathe! Weird, huh?
The allergist told me it was actually a pretty common thing. He told me that when it starts to happen, take a sip of room-temp water and take a slow deep breath from my diaphram (instead of the shallow kind from the chest). Also, I started taking the Zoloft, and guess what? It's pretty much gone away now!
It's so weird...I'd never heard of it before...but I guess these doctors know what they are talking about!

Old 12-11-2004, 10:41 PM   #12
(female)

duchuy HB User
Exclamation Re: Is this asthma or something else?

Well, any breathing problem longterm becomes asthma- but has many causes/reason.

Your problem is related to your GYN , based on your symptoms you have kidney weakness and spleen this will cause you to be near anemic -low blood count.

The most effective method is herbal , medication will not address your problem.

TRAN

Old 12-15-2004, 05:31 PM   #13

Blue102 HB User

Interesting perspective. I will look into that. What type of herbal remedies are you suggesting?

Closed Thread