Originally Posted by Blondee15
How long should you wait while in a flare up to bump up your Advair?
i've been doing worse than usual the past 2 weeks or so. needing albuterol a couple times a day & xopenex. I can already tell it's going to be an awful winter. My scalp is going crazy(allergies) & I wake up everyday breathing out of my mouth b/c i'm so allergic to dust my sinuses close up completely overnite. Which is not good- is causing me teeth problems.
I just feel like I do if I forget a dose of my advair all the time, tight chested, and constantly needing albuterol. I'm on 100/50 but am thinking I need a higher dose?
also, is there any way to prevent the steroid inhalers from rotting your teeth? any other options for medication?
My doctor has me wait until two or three days of being pretty bad to up the prednisone - so I guess that could be the same for your Advair. Call your doctor (allergist?) about it first though. My doctor says that the third day of being bad, he wants me to make an appointment also.
This winter, to avoid problems, your doc may want you on Advair 250 or even 500. Something else he may want you to do is use Xopenex when you can (when you're at home, that is. I realize it's impossible to do other places without a portable neb) instead of the albuterol during a flare-up. The good news about Xopenex is that it's about to be released in inhaler form by 3m!
Another thing you could look into is Xolair. Mention it to your allergist at your next appointment (don't forget to tell him how bad you get in the winter!) It requires some bloodwork for IgE levels, but it's well worth it, in my opinion. The only real downside to it is that it takes a few months to take any effect.
I'm not sure of any ways to prevent tooth problems from inhalers. Maybe brushing your teeth and gargling with Listerine after an Advair dose could help?