It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
What to do?

Today for one of my classes, I got one of those dolls that cries at certain times of the day (and night apparently). I can deal with the crying and everything, but the teacher told me that she cleaned the doll recently because it was very dirty. This would be fine if the cleaner she used didn't smell so strong! It smells like roses (times 1000). As soon as I took the first whiff of that, I started coughing and haven't stopped coughing since. I'm severely asthmatic and already use my reliever inhaler/nebulizer 4-5 times a day as it is, but since I've had the baby in my possession, it's already been 6 as of 8:00, and it only gets worse at night.

What can I do?! I have the doll all weekend. I'd hate to have one of my parents take care of it, but if it comes to that, I may have to. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 02:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: What to do?

Hi,

Are you also on a preventative cortocosteroid inhaler? Would an antihistamine help? (some can worsen asthma..so I don't know what kind you can use)

I have two other options for you: rewash the "baby" in something that would be less offensive to you (but since it's a plastic material that might not work);
wear a mask. That will also help regulate your breathing while your lungs are twitchy.

I would suggest the mask (get a few to last you the whole weekend).

Hope your baby weekend goes OK.....Make the best of it so that the learning experience will be memorable -- most important!

Let us know how it goes.
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 06:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
Hi,

Are you also on a preventative cortocosteroid inhaler? Would an antihistamine help? (some can worsen asthma..so I don't know what kind you can use)

I have two other options for you: rewash the "baby" in something that would be less offensive to you (but since it's a plastic material that might not work);
wear a mask. That will also help regulate your breathing while your lungs are twitchy.

I would suggest the mask (get a few to last you the whole weekend).

Hope your baby weekend goes OK.....Make the best of it so that the learning experience will be memorable -- most important!

Let us know how it goes.
quincy
Thanks for the mask idea! It's working really well.

Old 10-30-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

That's a relief!!!

I think it would be in everyone's interest if you suggested to the teacher that she/he not use such strong smelling soap to wash the baby dolls.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-30-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Closed Thread