It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 PM   #1

OctoberSunshine HB User
Medical Alert Tags- Are they necessary for asthmatics??

Hey, everyone!

I'm new on this but I feel I should learn about what is going on in my body. Plus it helps to know that others are going through the same thing I am. I was just diagnosed with asthma this summer so I'm still learning about everything. Do you think it is necessary to get a bracelet or a pendant for a medical alert to asthma? I think mine is pretty mild and I haven't ever had an attack yet but I believe I have come pretty close at times. What do you think? A necessary expense or no need? Also, are asthmatics allowed to scuba dive? I haven't been able to find any information on that. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Re: Medical Alert Tags- Are they necessary for asthmatics??

Necessary? Like as in painfully, absolutely necessary? Well, I don't carry one, but I probably should.

If it's an issue of not wanting to wear jewelry, then it's perfectly feasible to carry a wallet card listing your medical conditions (such as asthma,) any major surgeries you've ever had, if you wear contact lenses, and what medications you're taking at home, including things like multivitamins and an aspirin a day.

In all reality this is probably better than a medicalert 'bracelet' since it can be more easily updated and doesn't require you to wear jewelry (which some occupations forbid.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 06:58 PM   #3

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

After I had a really bad attack,,,to the point I thought I was going to pass out,,,I started using one. It was tough to accept at first,,,but I figure if I passed out,,,who would know it was because I could not breathe. I actually feel a little 'safer' with it.
~~Lorrie

Last edited by Gal4Dale88USP; 11-05-2004 at 07:00 PM.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:28 PM   #4

charleyhorse HB User

I think its a good idea. I have one with a sports bracelet so it doesn't really look like a medical bracelet and it snaps on and off easily.

Old 11-10-2004, 05:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

kirafaye HB User

I'v had chronic asthma for 16yrs and haven't ever felt the need for it, but then again I was able to gage when I was getting sick...just lucky... but carry aroudn ur inhaler at least cause if u start feelign like ur going down and u sit down with ur inhaler using it people could easily guess what is wrong, even if u collapseits a pretty good indicator...but from what u said abotu how sevre I doubt that would ever be a problem with good managment.

Closed Thread