It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #1

merriwood HB User
Foradil question

If anyone is taking Foradil, I would like to hear how you are using it. My allergy doctor gave me Foradil to use "as needed" in place of Albuterol. However, the package insert for Foradil makes it sound as if it were for everyday use, and that you should use something else for a flare-up. What's the difference between Foradil and Albuterol? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #2

cupcake118 HB User
Re: Foradil question

Foradil is a long acting bronchiodialator which is meant to be taken one puff twice a day as a maintenance med. It is not designed to be taken as needed. I would call your allergist and ask him about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

Foradil is fast-acting enough to be taken as-needed but shouldn't be taken as more than 24ug in 12 hours since the build up of side effects can be pretty harsh.

Foradil really was more designed to be a preventative drug than a rescue drug, so ask your allergist for some clarification. Sometimes they prescribe these things without meaning to be idiots and sometimes they aren't idiots and actually have a reason behind off-label dosing.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #4

bobix HB User

i use Foradil as an "as needed" preparation and it is just perfect 4 me - works quickly and i feel absolutely none side-effects. only one cons - the noise of inhaling the capsule is as loud as a helicopter landing =)

Old 11-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

Foradil lasts 12 hours, so it is not to be taken more often than that.

Otherwise, as-needed is more or less right.

The only thing is to remember you can't use it like Ventolin or you'll over-dose yourself.

Closed Thread