It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
(male)

daxmargo HB User
does anyone have this problem?

ok this is going to sound gross.. but when i get an asthma attack instead of feeling hugely short of breath, i get a wheezing thing going on, and also TONS of phlegm, and despite all my medications it seems to happen at least three or four times a week. I was on advair but kept getting throat infections and streppe, so now am using some other med, forget the name; as well as singulair and proventil. I also have had bronchitis and pneumonia 4 times in the past year. My asthma only started after i was traveling and caught very bad bronchitis, was in the hospital for 2 weeks.. then ever since then for the past two years i feel it constantly, yet have an otherwise healthy immune system.. does anyone have any advice for something else i could try. The one good thing is that exercise seems to help it not make it worse.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:29 PM   #2
(female)

Dove2003 HB User
Re: does anyone have this problem?

Do you take deconjestents like sudafed? i found that if i usually stay on those that mucus is less likly to travel to my lungs so i dont get broncitus as much and do you still have your toncils? if so it would probably help if they were removed.... when i was little i got streep at least every other week but since theyve been removed i havnt gotten it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 07:36 AM   #3
(male)

daxmargo HB User

i did have my tonsils removed when little so it isnt that. The problem is i never know in advance when i will have an attack and by the time i have one it is too late for the decongestent to help.. this mucus is not from my sinuses, it literally is coughed up from my throat, i get painful wracking coughs with the asthma attack.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmargo
ok this is going to sound gross.. but when i get an asthma attack instead of feeling hugely short of breath, i get a wheezing thing going on, and also TONS of phlegm, and despite all my medications it seems to happen at least three or four times a week. I was on advair but kept getting throat infections and streppe, so now am using some other med, forget the name; as well as singulair and proventil. I also have had bronchitis and pneumonia 4 times in the past year. My asthma only started after i was traveling and caught very bad bronchitis, was in the hospital for 2 weeks.. then ever since then for the past two years i feel it constantly, yet have an otherwise healthy immune system.. does anyone have any advice for something else i could try. The one good thing is that exercise seems to help it not make it worse.
I get the same problem with mucus, but also get very short of breath. Have they tried putting you on atrovent?

Have you been tested for allergies? Have you ever smoked?

(Sorry I'm asking so many questions...)
Have you actually had your blood tested to check for immune deficiencies?

Ever have a sweat test? Do you have any family history of cystic fibrosis?

Ever have a cat scan of your sinuses?

Old 11-30-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
Veteran

reader1 HB User

First of all, it sounds like you need a ton of guifanesin - it helps loosen mucus both in the chest and in the sinuses. Secondly, like someone else said, sudafed. Make sure to drink plenty of liquids.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

I get the same way.. disgusting amounts of mucuos from an asthma attack.. haven't figured out how to get rid of it, but I know the attack is coming to an end soon when I get all the mucuos.. usually. So the mucuos is usually a good sign for me!

Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
(male)

daxmargo HB User

thanks for all the help. hmm lets see in response to some questions.. yes i have been tested for allergies, i am only alleergic really to dust mites, but the asthma attacks can come anywhere really.. as to a ct scan of the sinuses no i havent done that, and as to cystic fibrosis no i have never looked in tothat but wouldnt that have appeared a while ago? i am 33 now. My asthma only really started after a very bad bought of pneumonia which put me in the hospital about 2 years ago, before that i had only had a very very mild case, but since then it has been hell. And i only get the mucousy stuff going on, and wheezing, but i can still breathe if you know what i mean..

Old 12-08-2004, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

My asthma (and really, most peoples' asthma) is the same thing. It's the mucus and the bronchospasm before a real feeling of shortness of breath.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:00 AM   #9
(female)

lexi2 HB User

Maybe you should talk to your doctor about a Prophylactic treatment, that's a low dose of antibotics for 1-3 months. Doctors are discovering that people with asthma may need to be treated with more antibotics than the average person.

Old 12-11-2004, 12:25 AM   #10
(female)

Dove2003 HB User

have you been tested for food alergies? I found out that im allergic to corn and there are a lot of medications that are corn based so i have problems... i dont know its an idea

Old 12-11-2004, 05:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmargo
thanks for all the help. hmm lets see in response to some questions.. yes i have been tested for allergies, i am only alleergic really to dust mites, but the asthma attacks can come anywhere really.. as to a ct scan of the sinuses no i havent done that, and as to cystic fibrosis no i have never looked in tothat but wouldnt that have appeared a while ago? i am 33 now. My asthma only really started after a very bad bought of pneumonia which put me in the hospital about 2 years ago, before that i had only had a very very mild case, but since then it has been hell. And i only get the mucousy stuff going on, and wheezing, but i can still breathe if you know what i mean..
Okay, so, when you see the doctor again, ask about getting either a sinus x-ray/CT and a sweat test.

Sometimes with chronic sinusitis, post-nasal drip drips into your lungs and irritates your airways, thus causing bronchospasm and probably a bit more mucus than usual.

And with cystic fibrosis - there are rare variants that can cause atypical asthma or digestive symptoms. My pulmonologist once told me he diagnosed a man with cystic fibrosis at 47 years old after the guy complained of chronic asthma.

Many people are diagnosed with asthma after pneumonia or bronchitis, it seems. I know that with young children, a lung infection in childhood can precipitate chronic asthma.

As someone said, being tested for food allergies would also be a good idea. One could have a mild food allergy that went unnoticed for years; this can cause gastroesophageal reflux, which then irritates the airways. This, too, can cause excess mucus.

Speaking of which, do you seem to get frequent heartburn? Maybe trying Zantac or Prilosec (both OTC acid reflux treatments) could help. That's if you aren't already on something for reflux.

You don't smoke, correct?

Have you had a pulmonary function test?

Closed Thread