It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

BONLEE HB User
Couging stops when awake

I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old both on flovent for night-time coughing. I can't figure out if it is really helping but cough medicine always helps. Is it normal for asthma related coughing to be relieved by cough medicine? If the 3 year old is having a coughing fit he will often vomit and the coughing will subside immediately. This morning he was having a coughing fit and got out of bed and never coughed again. Would asthma related coughing stop with vomiting, getting out of bed or cough medicine? I'm trying to determine if it is asthma or something else. Please help. I don't like to have them on these steroids if it is unnecessary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: Couging stops when awake

Did you steal my son's medical journal? Ok - just teasing. My son was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 5. He had bronchitis every fall. But then it started with this night-time coughing (especially in the fall and winter) that would get so bad he would vomit. At first cough medicines would work, but it got to the point that even that stopped working for us. So, finally got in with a pediatric pulmonologist. Night-time coughing is very common for asthmatics as well as the coughing until you vomit thing with the kids. It sad when you sit there waiting until the vomit cause you know they can sleep better afterwards. I would suggest getting your boys into a pulmonologist or there are even some allergists that work with asthma as well. Especially if there is any family history of asthma (even childhood) and if either of them has allergies or eczema.
Hope I've helped you make a more informed decision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

BONLEE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofluv
Did you steal my son's medical journal? Ok - just teasing. My son was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 5. He had bronchitis every fall. But then it started with this night-time coughing (especially in the fall and winter) that would get so bad he would vomit. At first cough medicines would work, but it got to the point that even that stopped working for us. So, finally got in with a pediatric pulmonologist. Night-time coughing is very common for asthmatics as well as the coughing until you vomit thing with the kids. It sad when you sit there waiting until the vomit cause you know they can sleep better afterwards. I would suggest getting your boys into a pulmonologist or there are even some allergists that work with asthma as well. Especially if there is any family history of asthma (even childhood) and if either of them has allergies or eczema.
Hope I've helped you make a more informed decision.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
(female)

BONLEE HB User

Thank-you for the response. The 18 month old has eczema I think too. What did your pediatric pulmonologist prescribe? I am a virgin at using any kind of message board but will definitely try this again with future problems. I had no idea getting help was so easy.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

This doc (ped. pulm.) was AWESOME. He immediately saw from the xrays that his smaller airways were inflamed and his PFT scores were low (mainly in the smaller airways as well) - which was great because he said the damage was reversible. He also found out that my son had been having some stomach issues as well - so he referred us onto a GI doc (in the same children's hospital). Well - after a combined scope (endoscopy and bronchoscopy - yes the doctors worked together so he only had to be put to sleep once), we found out my son had severe acid reflux which is what caused his asthma and was triggering the asthma problems now. So undiagnosed acid reflux causes asthma!!!!
Now for current meds: Nexium 40mg, Singulair 5 mg, and Qvar inhaler 80mcg every morning and Zyrtec 10 mg at night along with a pepcid ac if his tummy hurts.
So even though he is still on a daily steriod inhaler (it's small doses) he has much better nights and days (the drain of the cough as well as the lack of sleep was zapping his energy). If anything - testing would rule out asthma and the need for steriods. But if you are able to get him diagnosed earlier - the better for him. And it will be a breeze to get your baby diagnosed from there with the history of eczema too. Any family history of asthma (including just childhood cases) are a good sign that your signs are predisposed to asthma too.
Hope this helps!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:18 AM   #6
(female)

BONLEE HB User

My 3 year old, 18 month old and husband all have diagnosed ACID REFLUX too! It is all coming together. Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Cool - glad our experience helps!

Old 12-08-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

I just want to mention on the topic of cough syrup that it isn't a good idea in asthmatic kids.

Cough syrup (specifically the DM cough-suppressant kind) are central nervous system sedatives that block the cough-reflex in your brain.

This means that there may be a stimulus to cough but the cough just doesn't happen. It's useful for when you have a dry, irritated cough that is keeping you from sleeping. However, with asthmatics, dry, irritated coughs can sometimes indicate that there's a degree of bronchospasm going on and that Ventolin is probably the first choice before a cough suppressant.

That's the tough thing with babies; I can tell whether I'm bronchospastic or just coughing and so feel comfortable dosing myself. With babies they can't really tell you, so therein lies the controversy.

To answer your question, any kind of cough could be relieved, at least partially, by a cough suppressant, simply because of its mechanism of action.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Actually my son is having another spell of something now - maybe just asthma or asthma with a touch of bronchitis (up all night again). Anyway - after 2 breathing treatements with Xopenex and then Robutussin DM through the night (which apparently makes him hyper), I called the ped. pulm. and the nurse said to keep up the breathing treatments every 4 hours and switch to Dimetap DM - that is was better for asthmatics. So - straight from the nurse's mouth which came straight from the NP's mouth.
If we have another bad night and it appears he can't get it under control - we'll go in and be seen, but she said we'd probably have to do a round of Orapred.
Well - that's the latest for me. Hope yours is doing better!

Old 12-09-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

Maybe it's a lower dose of DM.

Orapred might keep it down if it's related to asthma.

Has he been tested for reflux? I get the feeling that this question has been asked.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:26 AM   #11
(female)

BONLEE HB User

Sorry to hear about your son being up all night. I hope you got a handle on it by now. If it is reflux, my doctor told me to limit the liquid intake a few hours before bed to help stop stuff from creeping up while lying down.

My son has been fine all through the night until 6:00am every morning all week. The coughing fits start and he can't get back to sleep (consequently, neither can I). I tried giving him the "blue" puffer (can't remember what it is called). It doesn't seem to help. Is this supposed to help instantly and should I just stop trying this if it doesn't. I am still giving him 2 doses of the "orange" puffer 2 times a day.

Thanks for the info on cough syrup. I'll switch to the Dimetapp DM (currently using Triaminic and have been very satisfied) and only give it when desperate.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Sorry been away for a few days. I did have to take my son in Friday (Thurs night was even worse than wed night). And the doc said both sides were wheezing and one side had crackling on it. So there was some bronchitis going on - round of Zithromax. Friday night (after the first 2 doses) was better and then by Sat night - we all got to slept thru the night - hallelujah!
Now my daughter has it I think. Last night was pretty bad for her. Got an appt for her this afternoon. I swear they seem to pass things back and forth no matter how much of that liquid sterilizing lotion I use!!!!
Find out the name of you inhalers and then maybe someone will be able to give you advice. If I remember - orange is the proventil (albuterol is it's generic form). Not sure on the blue one. But if you have to use the "rescue" inhaler on top of the daily inhaler more than 3 days - my ped pulm wants us to call them.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #13
(female)

BONLEE HB User

Hope your daughter is sleeping through for everyone's sake. The orange puffer is Flovent and the blue is Salbutamol. He was coughing last night at 11:30. The blue one didn't help I don't think.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

bonlee,
you might want to give the doc a call today - you don't want to get into the weekend and he's still having trouble.

this is what I found as a definition for salbutamol:
"Ventolin containing albuterol is prescribed for the prevention and relief of bronchial spasms that narrow the airway. This especially applies to the treatment of asthma. Some brands of this medication are also used for the prevention of bronchial spasm due to exercise.

Do not take albuterol more frequently than your doctor recommends. Increasing the number of doses can be dangerous and may actually make symptoms of asthma worse."

My son did not do as well in controling his symptoms with the Flovent inhaler. You might just need to get his switched to something different. Each child reacts differently to medicines and this Flovent just might not be the right one for him.

Let me know what happens.

btw, my daughter's lungs were ok, but she did have a sinus infection - so now both have been antibioticed before the holidays!!! We might actually have a healthy Christmas this year - woohoo!

Old 01-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #15
(female)

BONLEE HB User

I took my son to the doctor's before the holidays. We do not have pulmonologists in Canada except for maybe at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto. He did not want to refer me and wanted me to keep trying the meds he previously gave me. I did get a referral to an allergist.

New Years Eve the coughing started and lasted for 2 days full of vomiting from coughing. He was lucky if he went 10 seconds without a cough. It was very sad to watch and not be able to help him. We tried the blue puffer (salbutamol), Dimetapp DM (which he will not take again because he likes the grape Triaminic better), honey, humidifier (hot & cold), Tylenol, sleeping in a chair with me in case it was reflux related ... nothing seemed to help until it just disappeared Monday morning.

I sure wish there was a cure for this problem because I feel so guilty that I gave him this problem and I can't help him! Is there anything natural that could help him?

Closed Thread