It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #1

-T- HB User
Asthma or Broncitis?

Hi everyone

I think my asthma is playing up. The last 2 weeks I've been coughing at night (I never used to before), coughing up mucus (sometimes specked green but other times white) and Im wheezing most of the time. I can just be sitting down and I start wheezing then coughing and wheezing some more. If I roll over on my side in bed it starts the wheezing off which is later folowed my coughing and sometimes I become sweaty and flushed. Im waking up now wheezing or struggling for breath. When I yawn it sets off a wheezing episode and coughing. I've gone through 5 new inhalers (Ventolin 100, Seretide 250 and Bricanel 200) in the last 9 days. An inhaler usually lasts me weeks since I only take them when I need them. This is definitely not like me at all.

I had double pnuemonia as a child and several attacks of bronchitis which usually happens when Ive gotten over the flu or the weather is bad (winter months). Ive also been having these nasty little sharp stabbing pains across my chest and this terrible tightness or heavy pressure on my chest. It feels as if someone is squeezing my lungs. It takes about 8 puffs of each inhaler before the wheezing stops but sometimes it starts again about an hour later but sometimes I can go 6 hours without wheezing. Yipee!

I did mention this to my doctor and she said I sound wheezy and that was it. Didn't listen to me or anything but in her favour, it wasn't this bad then!

Has anyone got any idea what this could be? My dads been threatening to take me to the hospital if I have another very bad asthma attack as 2 years ago I had one which turned out to be a lung infection and I nearly died. Hes just beeing a watchful father.

Thanks for all your replies in advance.

Last edited by -T-; 12-12-2004 at 02:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 PM   #2

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
Re: Asthma or Broncitis?

Hello
Boy if I were you I'd go see a doctor! Your symptoms sound like mine did,,,I had pnemonia.
Hope you are feeling a little better,,let us know how you make out.
~~Lorrie

Old 12-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #3

-T- HB User

Hi Lorrie,

I thought I was getting better but unfortunately not. I think I'll see my doctor like you said. Aw I hope you're better now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help hun.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #4

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

I'm glad your going to the doc,,,how did ya make out???
I've been off my meds about a week now,,,feeling like something
might be 'up' again,,,eeeeerrrrrrrr.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #5

-T- HB User

Hi Lorrie,

I couldn't get an appointment. Its such a pain. I think Im going to wait until the weekend and see if it goes. If it doesn't then I will have to see the doc. Aw you should see the doctor if you think something may be wrong again. Best to be safe than sorry hun.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #6

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

T
Howdeeee! I know what you mean about getting an appointment,,,such a pain. I'm feeling much better today,,,hope you are too!

Old 12-14-2004, 04:28 PM   #7

-T- HB User

Hey Lorrie,

Im feeling better today to. The coughing seems to of eased off a lot and is only happening when I wheeze which hasn't been much today. Fingers crossed it will be over by weekend.

Im glad your feeling better hun. Asthma sure stinks, lol.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #8

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Hey T
Welp,,,went to the stinkin doc today,,,woke up and felt like a freight train parked on my chest,,,then rolled over me! Ends up I have Broncitis,,,eeeeerrrr. Ton of meds,,,all that stuff. Good thing is I'm on meds through the holidays,,,I know I won't have a flare at least. Gotta find that silver lining!
Hope your still feeling good!
~~Lorrie

Old 12-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

If your inhaler isn't do the job it is time to seek a Dr and get a med change if that is all it takes, you could have bronchitis and may need antibiotics to prevent it going into pneumonia.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:10 PM   #10

-T- HB User

Hey Lorrie - Aw you poor thing. Bronchitis sure stinks. Its awful isn't it? I was feeling better hun but now its starting all over again. I may be able to get an appointment for next wednesday or friday. I'll find out whats going on then. Hope you feel better soon!.

Nancy - Yup thats exactly what I told me doctor. She jsut said these inhalers suit me best when I used to be on 250 of everything. It figures they wouldn't work as good when she lowers 2 inhalers down to 100. I'll try and get the medication changed or the dose increased.

Closed Thread