It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User
Post Which do you prefer?

Ok, I take singulair and Zyrtec and was just using my rescue inhaler as needed for my asthma. I tried Advair but due to my insurance not covering it I had to rely on my pulmonologist's office to give me samples and the office staff became a pain so I stopped taking it. (Doc did straighten his staff out though he was VERY upset about the way I was treated) He wanted me to start taking it again since the asthma was getting worse it seemed and I should have any trouble getting the samples. I was kinda leary about taking the Advair because of the Steriod in it. I went to my PCP who works with my pulm doc with my asthma and I mentioned that a lady had told me that since I seemed to only have more probs at night and when I first wake up that a nebulizer used at night might would help me. My PCP thought this was worth a try and I got one and have used it once and so far so good. She has me taking it at bedtime when I get up and during the day so three times a day. My question is anyone used a Neb and have also tried Advair which do you prefer? Which one do you think is better to use? Oh and with the Neb I am using Albuterol and Atrovent in it...

Old 12-19-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Which do you prefer?

I have to do both. I really try to avoid the neb treatments because I hate them, but the doctor wants me to do them a couple of times a day. Right now I only do them when my PFs are running low for awhile. I hate nebs because they take a long time, make me so shakey, and my machine is loud (mostly annoying when I have to do them in the middle of the night). So in short, I would prefer to just be able to do the Advair. Maybe if your doctor writes a letter of medical necessity they will pay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

Well I was told not to take both but who knows the pharmicist told me that not my doc...I am doing a ned treatment as we speak my night time one. they seem to help me as long as I do them every 6 or 8 hrs. Yeah I get REALLY shakeyand a little lightheaded to the point I actually have to take it out my mouth for a sec. I was told this is VERY normal to be shakey and all. That is it will pass and it does. It is a pain sometimes to do them. Specially the night one cause I go to my bf's almost every other night and will have to take it with me. My insurance paid for the whole thing and are paying for my meds too. Doc wanted me to call the insurance to see if they would pay for it and from the time I started calling inquiring about it 3 hrs later I had it delivered to my door. It had gone through my doc and the insurance and the home health care company I was VERY impressed...

Old 12-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Well everyone is different, so just because I do them both doesn't mean you should. Yeah, I know feeling shakey is normal, but I hate it, so if I can use controller meds (advair) to avoid rescue neb treatments (which is what I use it for) I will.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:13 AM   #5

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

I think it matters what meds you are using in the neb. I know my doc says not to use pulmicort in the neb when I'm on Advair.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
(female)

JaggedBlossom HB User

agreed w/above...

my ex fiance had a nebulizer while we were together...and @ that time, my primary care doc had me on regular neb treatments for maintainance...

i was not to use inhaled steroids of one kind if i was using others on the neb...and vice versa...

Old 01-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #7
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

I am now just using Advair, Singulair, zyrtec, and either albuterol inhaler as needed or if its a really bad day I will use just albuterol in the neb I dont use the atrovent anymore because I am on the advair. I think this is ok from what I have been told...

Closed Thread