It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

mstephen23 HB User
Can I keep my down comforter?

My sister got me a down comforter for Christmas. Nice, but I'm not sure I can keep it. I have mild asthma that is kept in check with advair and combivent (sp?). My DH has always had a feather pillow in an allergy slipcover and it hasn't bothered me. When I opened the comforter I has an asthma attack (which for me means I had to use my inhaler). Could i keep it if I got an big allergy duvet cover? I can't find any info on that and asthma, only allergies!

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 11:02 PM   #2

plantlover HB User
Re: Can I keep my down comforter?

My mom actually just bought me a down comforter. I know if she got me one w/ feathers in it I would start coughing like crazy. Instead the comforter I have has something else in it besides feathers where its made especially for people w/ allergies. I can't exactly remember the name but what you should do is see if you can exchange it for the one I am trying to think of. I will ask her and see what the exact name of that comforter was. It's the same price and same exact as the one you probably have. I will get back to you!!
But personally I wouldn't keep that one I would be afraid of getting an asthma attack. I don't think the duvet will do much in protecting you against an attack from the feathers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 AM   #3

speaksfree HB User
Cool Re: Can I keep my down comforter?

I know feather pillows give me a bad attack .. dont know if that helps or not.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

It could simply be a reaction to the chemicals that were used in producing the material, or other stuff in the factory.. I tend to have a bit of a "tightness" when opening new stuff sometimes. (perhaps I'm just nuts?) Anyhow.. I've got a down comforter and do just fine.. although, you might consider one of those allergy covers, just in case.. I'd assume you'd be okay after that, if not, well.. it's better to have tried, right?

Old 01-21-2005, 07:38 AM   #5
(female)

minmin630 HB User

mstephen23~ Get the Duvet for over the comforter and u should be okay. I am asthmatic and have allergies and think that should work.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #6

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

I found out I was allergic to down and feathers,,,got rid of mine,,,I miss it!
Can't really tell if that alone made a difference as we did an entire bedroom
makeover to make it my little 'asthma safe room' !
~~Lorrie

Closed Thread