It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
Re: The hormone cortisol can be a cause of asthma

Chris, I don't ignore you! there are several posts I think... this sounds exactly like something that Chris would describe as a cortisol problem. I don't know too much about it, though I would be interested in finding out more. Everything for me appeared in the same year. Some say it has to do with the use of high dose topical steroids when I was very young, a baby. I always wonder about that. anyways Chris... your input is very m uch appreciated.. thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 08:38 AM   #2

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Chris
I'm not getting this,,,I'm slow at times! Are you saying that the treatment for Asthma could be causing it? I was dxed about 9 months ago,,,have felt like crap for most of the time. Sometimes I think I'm going to stop all my meds,,,but then I think if I'm bad now,,,what might happen then. I'm on Advair 250/50,,,Singulair,,,Zyrtec,,,ventalin inhaler.
thanks
~~Lorrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #3

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Chris
Very very interesting,,,thanks so much for taking the time to explain this to me. As I said,,,I've been dxed for about 8 months,,,trying to learn all I can.
How do you find out if you have this condition?
Thanks,,,Happy New Year!!
~~Lorrie

Old 01-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
(female)

Amluz HB User

Chris,
I do suffer from asthma and recently have been very sick with it. I was on prednisone (just finished the last one). Currently I am on Advair 500 and DuoNeb plus the inhaler when having an attack. I've been very sick since the week before Thanksgiving.
After reading your thread regarding cortisol I would like to know more about it. If you have a website or any other information, please let me know. Thanks so much for your information. I appreciate it! I am so glad that I found this thread.
God Bless!

Last edited by Amluz; 01-01-2005 at 01:51 PM.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

Amluz HB User

Thanks Chris!
God Bless!

Old 01-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #6

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Chris
I had Pnuemonia last Feb,,,they couldn't get it cleared up for months,,,that's when they finally found out I had Asthma. I was doing great through the summer,,,when cold weather hit here in Michigan I've been struggling. My back,,,where my lungs are,,,hurts so bad at times I can hardly take it,,,usually do a neb and hope that works. Thanks again for the info!!!
~~Lorrie

Old 01-02-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Everyone,

Firstly a Happy New Year to you all.

First time on this part of the board, so please bear with me.

I have taken steroids for more than 30 years and have never had any problems asthma wise.

I was however diagnosed with what is called "late onset asthma" around about 8 months ago. I am not allergic to anything, it is just there and I use a "preventer" inhaler am and pm, and then an "maintenance" inhaler when needed during the day.

Don't know whether this adds anything of interest in the discussion.

Regards

goldenwings

Old 01-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Chris,

First may I say that I don't mind answering your questions regarding asthma, but would prefer not to go into my medical history here.

I take prednisolone between 6 and 10mg per day, which is my maintenance level. I started off on 50mg per day which was my life saving dosage for a long while.

I hadn't lowered my dosage in any way when my asthma was diagnosed.

May I ask you a question as I am new to this forum? Are you medically trained Chris? I just like to get to know people so this is why I am asking.

Regards

goldenwings

Old 01-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #9

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Chris
Nothing trama wise before the pneumonia. I find the back pain part very interesting,,,I've gone to doc's on and off for about 5 years,,,they never can solve it. It's not really 'back pain' it's like my lungs hurt inside,,,hard to describe.
Thanks again for all the info
~~Lorrie
P.S. I'm on a pred tapper now,,,been on 10 mg for about 6 days,,,started 20 days ago at 50 mg

Old 01-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #10

iriscristata HB User

What are the specific tests to request when trying to make a diagnosis of Addison's? (Or, even to test cortisol levels) As I've been thinking about your suggestion, it gives me even more reason to have additional blood work performed. Especially considering I haven't had any symptons of asthma in months now, even when I'm around my known triggers (smoke, cats). I go back to the allergist on Friday and I plan to have a list of tests and some research completed by then.

I plan on requesting another TSH (which was 1.7 for me and 2.0 was considered 'high'), Free T3 and Free T4 to check the friendly thyroid again.

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #11

iriscristata HB User

I posted the thyroid results on the thyroid board.

Which would you use? An MD that uses integrative medicine or a DO? I can get the appointment with either, but wanted to make sure I'm choosing the best one for my situation.

Thanks,
Iris

Closed Thread