It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
(female)

nelldance HB User
no insurance...and here comes my probs...

So, for like 3 months now I don't have insurance. My husband left his full-time job to go to the fire academy. So, for a few months, I am without insurance.
This is my problem. I cannot afford my advair, singulair, and allegra. I have always taken albuterol rescue inhaler.
A few weekends ago we were at his fathers house. His little sister has asthma and takes breathing treatments via nebulizer. I didn't have my inhaler, adn I strted having difficulty. His step-mom, told me to do a breathing treatment. I did, and it was probably the best thing that I had ever done. I had never had one before. I felt so normal after it.
So, should I just call my doc. and tell him this, so maybe he can perscribe me solution.......b/c my sis has a neb. that she doesn't use. I know the solution is expensive, but I would be willing to pay for it. It was like heaven....I couldn't believe how wonderful it was.
aNY IDEAS???? What should I do, without having to go to the dr.??? I can't really afford it.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #2

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
Re: no insurance...and here comes my probs...

Hello
Give your doc a call,,,I bet ya he/she will have some samples to get you
through. It's worth a try!
~~Lorrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Albueterol neb solution comes in generic and it isn't that expensive at all.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-23-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites - use brand names only

Old 01-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

Hi
It is soooooooo important that you take your preventer meds. Using a neb may make you feel better in the short term but the reliever meds don't treat the underlying inflammation. If it is left this can get worse and cause a severe attack. So, before you start thinking about neb solution, see if there is anything that can be done to stop you needing it. Some research has shown that asthmatics who have home nebulisers are more likely to suffer a near fatal or really severe attack, this is because they leave it too long before going to the ER. Although, for some there is little choice having a home neb is not always the answer. I'm guessing that going to the Dr and getting your preventer meds is much cheaper than a stay in hospital? (I live in the UK so I don't quite understand the system over there) Even people with mild asthma who don't take their preventers can put themselves at risk.
Hope you feel better soon.
Blue

Old 01-23-2005, 07:39 PM   #5

irenee2 HB User

I also have to take many drugs and can't afford them. I have been helped by the patient assistance programs offered by many pharmaceutical companies. You can find these programs by going to the web site of the manufacturer of the drug. If you qualify in terms of income, they will give you the drugs for free. It will require you to fill out forms about your income and to get your doctor to sign the form stating that you need the drug. Doing all of this is a nuisance, of course, but it is saving me thousands of dollars each year. Good luck.

Closed Thread