It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #1

mrmornin HB User
TB and Asthma

So, there's been an interesting development in my fiancees condition. She had a CT and the results showed some damage to her lower left lung. The pulmonologist said that it could be from acid (I'll get to that), but that it could also be from tuberculosis. He's sure she doesnít have active TB, but exposure is certainly possible since she works, or worked, with a homeless population. She is still having way too many reflux episodes considering that she had surgery, is maxed out on reflux meds and has restricted her diet, but this certainly is an interesting development. She's going back to the GI guy and then will return to the pulmonologist in a couple of weeks for a TB test. The working hypothesis is still that she has asthma that is greatly exacerbated by GERD and of course they're keeping her on all her meds while they examine this further, but it seems pretty significant that they found this. It's all still spinning around in my head. Anyone? Thoughts?

Old 01-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #2

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
Re: TB and Asthma

Wow,,,that's a big break through. I wonder why they didn't do the TB test right away? If her Asthma is being exacerbated by GERD,,,maybe they can keep tweeking her meds till they find something that works. Hope she is feeling better,,,at least she if finally getting some answers. Keep us posted!
~~Lorrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 11:54 AM   #3

mrmornin HB User

It is, right? I mean, no one's saying it has everything to do with everything, but TB could certainly explain comments like, "She doesn't really present with typical asthma." and why she just doesn't seem to get better no matter what they do. It could even explain the GERD to a certain extent I think. I remember a doctor saying that when you're sick, when anyone is sick, even with a cold, reflux increases. So, if she's had TB even part of the time... Well, I don't want to get ahead of myself.

They're waiting on the test for two reasons. 1) You have to be checked 2 or 3 days after the test is administered, which puts us into the weekend and 2) The doctor wants her to speak with the GI guy first.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

Hello
GERD is quite commonly found with asthmatics, as it can be one of the asthma triggers and also some of the asthma meds can cause it. I take nexium for it which really helps. Mine is caused by the steroids I have to take to control my asthma.
If your girlfriend has the TB test and is on steroids, it is worth telling the person who will read the test result as it can cause a false negaitve. I know this as I have just ahd the test done myself. I'm waiting for them to decide whether or not I have it, as the result was just negative and I'm on steroids. If she does have TB it is fairly easy to treat now as I have been told it will just be a 6 month course of antibiotics.
Take care
Blue
x x

Closed Thread