It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
How do I tell when it's empty?

Hey guys...two questions...

For one, I'm still confused about the pulmicort...I don't see a viewing window or anything on my turbohaler to indicate the number of doses left.

Secondly, how do I tell when I'm out of Albuterol? My inhaler has staretd to do a really weak spray, like I have to spray it a few times before I actually use it, even though it has not set for a long period of time or anything. I have no clue if I've used 200 doses...I can't remember. :P Maybe it just needs ot be cleaned or something? But anyway...how do I tell when it's empty? Because it feels like there's some in there still...help me out, I'm confused. :P

Old 01-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: How do I tell when it's empty?

Hi,

Firstly....there should be some instructions as to usage and answers to all the questions you've asked. Do you not have that information from either of the boxes of meds?

In the event that you don't.....unscrew the protective covering off the Pulmicort. Then pry off the part you put in your mouth. It does come off, but you might have to use both thumbs at the same time.
Now explain to me what the container that holds the meds looks like to you. We'll go from there. (did you not see my response to you the last time you enquired about this...., if not, check it out and that might help).

As far as your rescue inhaler and how much is left...if it feels like there's a bit left, then it's basically empty and you should probably get another one.

You might try to clean the dispenser part by removing the metal container and run just the dispenser (plactic part) under warm running water. Wipe it off, let it airdry...if you need to use it immediately afterward, shake it off well and put in the metal canister. Spray it twice before using.

Hope this helps.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

with the albutrol, if it's not spraying properly, it is probably empty. Went you shake it you should be able to feel if there is only a little left. If in doubt, get another, you don't want it packing up when you need it most!
The pulmicourt, is that a spray or dpi? if it's a spray, then the same applies, if its a dpi then it should have a little wheel that looks a little like a cog which turns red when you are running out?
Maybe your dpi inhalers are different to mine though?
Blue
x x x

Old 01-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

The pulmicort has a little window beneath the mouth piece. When it is getting low there's a red strip. You can tell in that window when it is out. Have you also heard of the test where you inhale it through black cloth? If there are still meds in it you will see white dust on the cloth.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

LOL...I'm a little slow...I finally found the little window you guys are talking about on the pulimcort. I've never heard of the black cloth thing...that's a good idea.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #6

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

I bought this thing online that hooks to the top of my inhaler,,,it's called a doser. It tells me how many puffs I took that day,,,how many puffs I have left in the entire inhaler,,,keeps track of the date I started using it also. It was about 30 bucks but well worth it to me.
I was told that the inhaler will keep spraying,,,feel like you have stuff in it,,,even when you don't. The stuff your feeling when it's empty is the propellent. (did I spell that right?!)
~~Lorrie

Closed Thread