It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

liquidt HB User
Misdiagnosed asthma

last year I was having trouble breathing, I would get congested and wheeze. This started when I moved to Victoria BC. Along with worsening allergies and eczema. (I lived in a basement suite of an older apartment if this information is any help)
I went to the doctor when I moved back to Alberta and was tested for asthma, as well as blood tests and x-rays but everything came back clean. The doctor did give me an inhaler but I never went back to get it refilled. It helped a little.

I constantly get congested and am always clearing my throat. I have noticed that I also get bad reflux when eating certain foods.

Any ideas? Should I go for a second opinion?

Old 01-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #2

iriscristata HB User
Re: Misdiagnosed asthma

Look at my post below called 'It was reflux". Maybe that will help you some.

I started with Axid over the counter and then had asthma doctor put me on Nexium. What a miracle drug.

I would get a 2nd opinion if I were you.

That way, you know for sure it isn't asthma. In my case, it wasn't asthma, but an asthma mimic. Asthma is very serious, so please do get another opinion from a physician if possible. Either way, you want your issues treated, whether it's asthma or reflux.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Another condition to have questioned (listening to your statement) is vocal cord dyfunction.
I was initially diagnosed with asthma over 2 years ago after some horrible bouts of severe wheezing and feeling like I couldn't breathe. I was treated twice in the ER for asthma. My wheezing continued for well over a month and then stopped. At that point though, the other symptoms I had worsened and I developed some new symptoms. After 8 months of living hell- it was discovered at National Jewish Respiratory and Research Hospital that I had vocal cord dyfunction (which greatly mimics asthma). It was being aggrivated by a serious allergic condition and problems with my sinuses. Thank God, I have had just one very serious episode since- and it was brought on by bronchitis and reflux. Reflux, sinus and allergy problems and strong scents (ie. some perfumes, paints, smoke are big vocal cord triggers for some people) There are breathing exercises to do when this happens that helps and in severe attacks- valium does help to relax the vocal cords. Of course, this needs to be diagnosed by a physician and treated as such if this is the case. Look this up on the National Jewish Respiratory and Research Hospital website. The information is very informative. This condition is frequently misdiagnosed as asthma- and asthma medications do almost nothing to help.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

kel555 HB User

I am 16 years old and compete in sports all year long. I am in good shape but however I have been having trouble at the end of whatever season I'm doing. I have been tested for exercise induced asthma and it came back positive but the inhaler just doesn't seem to be working. I have seem multiple doctors and one of them said it might be VCD. I don't know that much about it though. When I have a so called asthma attack my vision gets fuzzy and narrowed, I feel like my throat is constricting and it is sometimes hard to breathe throughout the race, and I slow down by a minute 40 in a 3 mile race. What could this be?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Liquidt -

iriscristata's reply below is right on the money. Acid reflux can trigger asthma-like symptoms (or actual asthma in people who have it) and can lead to the constant throat clearing, so that's the best place to start (I too am on Nexium and it has made a huge difference).

kel555 -

The symptoms you describe sound exactly like an Asthma attack (which would certainly slow down your running). If the inhaler you have isn't working you probably need to see the doctor and get a different type of inhaler or stronger dosage of what they gave you. It can take some time to find the right regimen to control exercise induced asthma.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

kel555: What are you taking, how much and when? I am an asthmatic jogger. It took a while to get the regimen down pat but I use two puffs of albuterol 20 minutes before jogging. Works well for me but it took various combinations before we got it right.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

kel555 HB User

After the last incident in october my parents thought I might have exercise induced asthma and I went in. The doctors have said it possibly could be exercise induced asthma but some of the symptoms I have doesn't fit in the category of exercise induced asthma. My legs will feel really heavy and I will pee or soil my pants shortly after starting to feel like my throat is constricting. I have seen about 5 doctors and I have gotten a wide range of answers. One says it might be exercise induced asthma and hyperventilation or VCD. While the other says that it isn't even possible while running to have hyperventilation and that VCD you would be wheezing more. I have also have had a thyroid and anemic test that both came back negative. It happens more towards the end of whatever sport I'm doing and when it gets colder.

Last edited by kel555; 12-18-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
(female)

kel555 HB User

Does anyone know why my legs could get numb and why I soil or pee my during a race while feeling like I can't breath?

Closed Thread