It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Question Methacholine challenge test? Do I need it?

Hello! I was newly diagnosed by my family physician with asthmatic bronchitis. He heard some scattered wheezing. I just got over a severe cold that sent me to the emergency room and I went to him for folllow up. I asked for a referral to a allergist and I went today. I had the skin tests and injections and they were negative. They did a test where I had to blow in a hose three times while they recorded it and then gave me a dose of inhaler meds times two and gave me the test again. To make this story less painful so I don't lose you, is that was negative also. Now they tell me to come back for a test that is called Methacholine challenge test. Finally my question to you good folks, why do I need to have this test? Does this test finally determine if I have asthma? Side effect? Right now I feel I have just a bad virus and this is a by product. Please feel free to comment on anything you may feel that might help enlighten this confused soul. I thank you in advance and would be so grateful to you. Blessings!

Old 01-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Methacholine challenge test? Do I need it?

Yup, the allergist told me this test determines if you have asthma or not...when I did it, my peak flow dropped 12%. They have you breath it in, then wait for while, then they'll take another peak flow reading...then when you're done they give ya some albuterol to reverse the affects of the methacholine. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 03:42 AM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Wink Re: Methacholine challenge test? Do I need it?

Thank you for your answer! I am concerned about the side effects, actually causing your airways to constrict in order to find out if your asthmatic doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to analyze this but I have a mistrust of doctors due to the fact so many times misdiagnosed. I may just be in denial and do not want to know if I am truly asthmatic, but I don't think so. If I could be so forward and ask what would be the downside of not having this test. I don't seem to have the history of conditions that would suggest I could be asthmatic. Thank you once again!!!!! p.s. I am a senior citizen and just do not want to put my body through any unnessary tests if I do not have to. Blessings!

Old 01-21-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
(female)

wildflowers HB User

If you would be so kind to let me know folks what is a good air purifier, I am considering a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze or a Oreck XL professional air purifier. Could these purifiers possibily do all they say they can do for clean air? I apologize in advance if I am not suppose to mention brand names here but I really am trying to find a solution and I am deeply grateful for this marvelous opportunity in health boards to help me, where else does one go to get a honest and "been there" answer but health boards. Thank you, Thank you again. Blessings

Old 01-21-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

steph1pk HB User

The Ionic air purifiers emit some ozone which is very bad for your lungs. There is a long report from the EPA which discusses this. I highly recommend a HEPA filter air purifier over any of the ionic ones.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I think they only do the test if they're aren't really sure...like me, for example, when I'm in the office and just do a peak flow, or whatever, they say it looks great. :-) So they did the Methacholine challenge test because they were unsure...:-)

Old 01-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #7

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Wildflower
I had that test,,,it was not to bad,,,I remember getting winded during it.
I was glad I finally found out what my problem was,,,happy I knew what I
was fighting.
Hope it goes well for you!
~~Lorrie

Old 01-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you all so much for your replys I cannot tell you what it means to me. There was a time when I went to the doctors and they told me how great I was doing, now it seems there is a new diagnosis each time I go for a visit. I seem to get overwhelmed much more since I have gotten older. Thanks to you being so kind to take the time to answer my questions I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. Blessings and good health to you and your families.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #9

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

I know what you mean. For awhile it seems everytime I left the doctors I walked out with 4 or 5 more scripts,,,samples,,,a page of instructions. I'd call my poor hubby and cry,,,it was all so overwhelming at first. It still is at times,,,but the more I learn the easier it is to cope.
Hope you are feeling well!
~~Lorrie

Old 01-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #10
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank You very much Lorrie, you are exactly right, the tears come so easily when we are frightened and overwhelmed. The unknown feels like sitting in a room with all the lights out, you are alone and you are waiting for someone to turn on the light switch. Hopefully it is the doctors in a medical situation. They cannot turn on the light switch sometimes or even worse cannot even find the light switch, crying is a good way for me too! I get my power in research and inquiring and most importantly finding "little miracles" like you who answer my e-mail and click on the light. Thank You again Lorrie! Blessings!

Old 01-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #11

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

What a sweet message,,,thanks right back to you !
~~Lorrie

Closed Thread