It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

Noel's girl HB User
Asthma Hereditery?

I Was Wondering If Asthma Is Hereditery? My Husband Has To Use His Pump About 1-2 Times A Day, So I Was Just Wondering What Are The Chances Of My Kids Having Asthma As Well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Asthma Hereditery?

My dad and I both have asthma. I think it is hereditary to a degree, but not a huge risk. There area you live in and your nationality also both determine your chances of getting asthma, and you husband and kids will share those things in common as well. The quality of life with asthma is not bad, since it is highly treatable. It shouldn't be something that stops you from having kids, it's a good question though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

My dad and I have it but not my Mother or sisters. It is heriditary, but kids as well as adults can develop it at any time. Usually allergies come first though. Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Yes, it is hereditary, it runs strongly on my mother's side and my brother and I have it. My mom, on the other hand, had eczema (which there's a link as well).

My friend's brother and sister have asthma, and she has lung reactions but not clinically asthma as of yet. Her youngest daughter was diagnosed at age 5 and the other one is heading in that direction.

That's true that asthma is treatable. My asthma is more intrinsic than extrinsic.....and I'm not clinically allergic. But, I had lots of sensitivities and chronic colds before it became full-blown.

I decided to NOT have children because of all the family inherited traits I had and didn't want to pass them on. I had enough to deal with and having kids would have just compounded the stress for me as well....it was definitely a good decision on my part. Do we regret it? Not once.

quincy

Old 01-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
(female)

Noel's girl HB User

Thank you all for taking time out to answer my question, I really appreciate it now i know that there is a chance. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User

See next entry

Last edited by BYHOPE1113; 02-07-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User

If someone in your family has asthma you are at a greater risk of having it yourself and the severity of it can range from mild to severe.

Asthma runs in my husbands family.
This is a list of our Asthma Tree from my husbands side of the family

My Husband: Mild
My Daughter: Mild
My Daughter: Severe
My Mother In Law: Severe
My Brother In Law: Severe
My Nephew: Mild
My Sister In Law: Mild
My Niece: None
My Sister In Law: None
My Niece: None

See not everyone has it and those that do vary in severity.

Last edited by BYHOPE1113; 02-07-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
(female)

storm12 HB User

My dad has an asthma-like reaction to cats, with wheezing and lung tightness. My brother and my mother have "hayfever" in the fall, and my brother, when he ran cross country in high school, had asthma-like episodes. He never went to the doctor, but he did borrow my albuterol inhaler a few times (which did help him, but I don't know that he should have used my prescription). I have a grandmother who doesn't have asthma, but has had episodes of exczema and psoriasis most of her life. I do have first cousins with asthma and allergies as well. I think there is a family heredity factor involved.

Closed Thread