It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

Annieh2000 HB User
Anyone Else? Only Asthma with Certain Dogs

I have a problem that has plagued me for many years. I grew into my asthma when I was older. I was about 19 or 20. I used to be able to be around dogs of all kinds. My biggest trigger was mold, mildew, etc. My problem is that I only have asthma attacks when I am around dogs that slobber or salivate alot. For instance, my brothers Boston Bull Terriers pant and slobber alot. I cannot go to their home. My sister has a Grear Pyrinese and a Newfoundland...they REALLY slobber...I cannot go to their house. They have tried to burn candles, etc, to remove the smell, but, it doesn't matter.
On the contrary, my mom has a little mixed breed that doesn't slobber or pant a lot, and it doesn't bother me. My other sister has chihuahua's that don't bother me...
My other siblings seem to think I just don't like their dogs...which isn't true. I cannot be around them in enclosed spaces or I will end up in the emergency room unable to breathe!

Question: Does Anyone Else Have THis Problem!!????

Old 02-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
(female)

almondjoy HB User
Re: Anyone Else? Only Asthma with Certain Dogs

This is what I think:

It's not the cat hair and the dog hair that gives me the breathing problems. It is the saliva that is on the hair. And, a cat box will immediately cause me to have asthma problems, too. That is because it is what comes out of the animals' body(salvia,sweat, urine....) that I am alergic to, not the hair.
And, I can be more alergic to some animals than others, depending on how clean they are and what is on the hair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

bigdogmom48 HB User

Yes! I am bothered by Golden Retrievers & Wiemeriners, but my I can cuddle my Rottweiler and bury my nose in her fur with no problems.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

Dander is the allergy problem usually, not the fur.

Dander is dandruff that is created by dried saliva on the skin from when they lick themselves to clean themselves.

Burning candles doesn't take the dander out of the air because it's particulate and must be filtered.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Also, when you get a dog bathed at the groomer, ask them not to put perfume on the dog! You would be surprised how many of them do.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I supposedly am quite allergic to dogs (I had a skin test which showed a reaction), but I almost never feel symptoms around dogs.

Closed Thread