It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

danilee HB User
Prednisone questions

Hi I am wondering if anyone has experienced the negative effects of Prednisone? I was on it for 8 days started at 40 mg a day for 3 days then 20 mg a day for 3 days then 10 mg a day for 2 days. On the 4th day, I felt horrible, like vice grips on my head and anxious. Now after being off of the drug for 5 days I still get this weird feeling in my head, like a tingle or tickle in my brain? I went to the ER for the head pressure they did a cat scan and found I have a sinus infection, but my sinuses are pretty OK feeling. Anyways they gave me augmentin and im taking that now. Anyone know why I get these weird feelings in my head? They make me extremely irritable and scared, like im going nuts? It sounds crazy. The weird head feelings last anywhere from a few minutes to a half hour, I usually lay down and it helps. Could this be from my sinuses? or is this a withdrawal feeling? HELP PLEASE, I feel like im going to go crazy when this tingle/tickle/itchy feeling happens in my head.

Thank you

Old 01-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #2

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
Re: Prednisone questions

Hello
I'm sorry to say I've never had that side effect with Prednisone. Hopefully someone else can help ya out here.
Hope you're feeling better
~~Lorrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

pred can have some weird psychological side effects. Hopefully after being off it for a weerk or 2 you should ge6t beck to normal. If not, then go and speak with your Dr about it,. He won't think you are going mad. Some people hallucinate whilst on pred and others can lose the plot completely!
Take care
Blue
x x x

Old 01-26-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Red face Re: Prednisone questions

My pulmonologist said someone had such severe psychological side effects from it, that the person had to be admitted to the psych ward!

Old 01-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilee
Hi I am wondering if anyone has experienced the negative effects of Prednisone? I was on it for 8 days started at 40 mg a day for 3 days then 20 mg a day for 3 days then 10 mg a day for 2 days. On the 4th day, I felt horrible, like vice grips on my head and anxious. Now after being off of the drug for 5 days I still get this weird feeling in my head, like a tingle or tickle in my brain? I went to the ER for the head pressure they did a cat scan and found I have a sinus infection, but my sinuses are pretty OK feeling. Anyways they gave me augmentin and im taking that now. Anyone know why I get these weird feelings in my head? They make me extremely irritable and scared, like im going nuts? It sounds crazy. The weird head feelings last anywhere from a few minutes to a half hour, I usually lay down and it helps. Could this be from my sinuses? or is this a withdrawal feeling? HELP PLEASE, I feel like im going to go crazy when this tingle/tickle/itchy feeling happens in my head.

Thank you
Yes, I think this is probably normal. The natural secretion of anti-inflammatory chemicals is regulated by a gland in the brain I think I read that somewhere. Predinsone takes over that job when the gland does not produce enough. I would say if the brain is involved in this, that there would be some odd feelings afterwards up there upon discontinuation.

My mom's on it and she sometimes gets weird feelings in her head too, maybe that's when it is lower in concentration or wearing off probably.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #6

BlueBelle2 HB User

I felt like that, right around my temples and upper cheek bones, it felt like my head was being squeezed or trying to bulge out. Weird. I didn't feel that the first time I was on the pred., had the moon face and all the other fun stuff though.

It mostly happened when I was on the higher dose. 60 mg and tapering. I'm at 2.5 now and don't feel it anymore.

Closed Thread