It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #1

bandit4ever HB User
Exclamation trouble breathing

i am 18 years old and i have had asthma for as long as i can remember... my asthma has never really been bad meaning i never had to take anything for it until about a years ago i had a attack when i was sleeping so i got put on a bunch of things... a couple mounths ago i was like wow i think i am getting better but ever since winter has come and more and more bitter weather i feel like i was before... the other day i was at work it was snowing and i think -1 degrees and i went with my friend jess to take the garbage out i had to walk maybe a block outside and i thought i was goin to die... i went back in and all i was doin was weezing and i didn't want to be a baby and be like one min i have to go and get my inhaler i know if i wait for about a half hour i will be fine so that is what i did... what i am really trying to say is does asthma get worse during the winter... i am on pulmicort turbuhaler and i have a bunch of refilles on it so i can always have it, the thing is i don't always take it... the reason for that is i am 18 years old and i don't want to think i am goin to be on this medication for as long as i know... so the way i think about it is if i don't take my med and i do all right that means i don't need it...

please help!!!

ps
i just got done snow blowing the driveway for my dad and i just finally caught a breath and now it is snowing hard and blowing so how much my hard work pays off

Last edited by bandit4ever; 01-24-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: trouble breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit4ever
the thing is i don't always take it... the reason for that is i am 18 years old and i don't want to think i am goin to be on this medication for as long as i know... so the way i think about it is if i don't take my med and i do all right that means i don't need it...
No, not necessarily. From what I've gathered from your post, you're not taking your Pulmicort as prescribed and you're still getting attacks. First of all, Pulmicort takes up to two weeks to take full effect; right now, you're not getting any effect from it. Also, it seems that you NEED to take it if you're having asthma problems fairly frequently.

Just to let you know, just because you don't cough and wheeze all day and all night doesn't mean your asthma under complete control. I'd suggest getting a spirometry (lung function test) done to assess the severity of your asthma.

In short, just take your Pulmicort as it's prescribed. How long does it take -- 2 minutes out of your life, at the most?

Old 01-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User
Re: trouble breathing

I just wanted to say you REALLY should take your med. I was on soooo much med already for other things I wouldnt take my asthma med like I should and my doc told me that breathing is very important (like I didnt know lol) and that I needed to stop cheating myself out of the meds. I n ow take them and I feel a lot better most of the time. I look at it as so what if I have to take them the rest of my life, I would rather do that than go back to cheating myself of the meds and suffering so much. Yes, your asthma will prob get worse during the Winter from the cold, I know mine and most ppl's do...

Closed Thread