It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

jillybelly HB User
Asthma Suddenly Much Worse

I've had asthma for 6 years. I used to take regular treatment (advair 250, singulair, a long acting bronchodilator, and ventolin), but I tend to stop taking everything when I'm feeling better. Stupid decision. I'm 18 now, and this is the third winter I've spent breathless. It seems that as soon as January comes I can expect to be sick for the next few months. I get a cough at the beginning of January that lasts through March.

I started coughing at the beginning of the month but ignored it. I tried to put it off as a normal cold. I used my ventolin inhaler a lot but was in denial. Then this Sunday I decided to play 2 games of basketball. I've been suffering ever since.

I went to the hospital Monday because I could hardly breathe. I was put on antibiotics, flonase and advair 250. The flonase worked perfectly. I can breathe through my nose But the advair didn't do anything. I went back today for a follow up, and she said my lungs sounded much worse so now I have to get an x-ray tomorrow to make sure it isn't a chest infection or pneumonia, and she doubled my advair to 500 morning and night saying that if that didn't work then take 500 three times a day...

What are the chances that I have developed allergies? I sleep with two big feather pillows and a feather duvet. I know sleeping makes my asthma worse, but that's even without the feathers so i dunno....

Yeah so I feel like an idiot for letting my lungs suffer so much. I don't think this is an infection, or nothing too major, this is more likely to be the result of not taking care of my lungs and then playing so much basketball....

Anyways... moral of the story, don't stop taking your medication just because you feel better. It might happen that one day you suddenly become much worse and can hardly do anything, like walk up and down the stairs to your apartment...

Hope the treatment will hurry up and work. I was really looking forward to start running again to strengthen my lungs...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
(female)

minmin630 HB User
Re: Asthma Suddenly Much Worse

jillybelly~ I so totally agree...I have been diagnosed with a Mild Asthma since I was 12 I am now 24. I always stopped taking my medicine when I start to feel better....but now at 24 I have been diagnosed with severe asthma. I take the advair 500 twicw a day then I take sigulair and albuterol...sometimes prednisone.
It could also be Allergies....I had always had allergies and that was how I was diagnosed with my asthma. Well recently my allergies got worse and had gotten so bad that I had to see a Allergist. When I went to the Allergist they told me that my Astma became severe and they did a pulmonary function test that showed for my age group that I was in the 50%,
I was told that when you have Asthma that using anything pillows,blankets, matresses ect.....containing feathers are horrible for Asthma. I would really recomend having the Allergy covers for pillow and blankets.
Well I hope that I was able to help answer any questions

Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
(female)

rcg HB User

the Advair will not work within a couple of days... it's long term just like Singulair... you must take it every single day! Also with the Flonase, do not take more than twice a day no matter what b/c you'll get nosebleeds. If you must, take a normal Saline spray for your nose if it's still bothering you. And again, Flonase must be taken every single day for it to work... it's a steroid. same as Advair. I have severe asthma. I take Singulair, Advair 250/50, and albuterol when it bothers me (about once a week). In the winter, I find it helpful to keep extra prednisone around so that if I"m having problems, I can start with that myself and call my pulminologist the next day even. Allergies sound possible... the things you described are enough to trigger asthma alone! hope I helped.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
(female)

jillybelly HB User

thanks so much! Yeah, I don't take the flonase more than twice a day, and my nose is much better now. I've never had an immediate affect from advair, in fact my lungs aren't that great today (4 days later) All it takes is for me to walk anywhere, and I have to walk to all of my classes, up tons of stairs :S

The asthma has led me to skip all my classes and just make a trip to the library where I can stay for 3 hours and cut my walking down by a third...

anyways, i have to go study, book worm me

thanks again for the advice

Closed Thread