It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
(female)

mtelsey HB User
Exclamation ready to pull my hair out!!!!

ok, here we go. My daughter who is 6, has had a very hard time w/ colds ever since she was an infant. She would always get a horrible dry deep cough-not croup-and would cough so hard she would vomit. I took her to the dr everytime, and they would just give her cough meds, sometimes the stuff w/ codeine in it, and tell me to use humidifiers blah blah blah. It never worked, I always told them it never worked, but they never did anything different until a little over a year ago.

Once again she had gotten sick and this time the cough was still going strong more than 4 weeks later. I saw a new dr (we are military so nothing new), he decided to treat her for asthma. They still did no test, no xray, nothing. He put her on albuterol, prednizone for a week, and flovent. It seemed to work at first, but after a few more illnesses, the albuterol didn't seem to make any difference anymore as a rescue.

We moved once again, the new dr decided to put her on advair instead of flovent. I believe the lowest dosage 150/50 or 100/50 one of those. It did nothing. I saw a different dr, he decided to put her on singulair also (still no tests of any kind done) and told me to double her advair when she gets sick. The next time she got sick, I did what he said, and it worked perfectly!! I doubled (2 puffs instead of 1 twice a day) for 7 days, decided to go back to normal to see, she started the cough so did it an additional 7 days, and boom all better. I never even had to use the albuterol as a rescue, and she would sleep all night w/ no cough what-so-ever.

I tried to refill the advair, and was told by the pharmacist not to double the advair, even though the dr told me to. I made another appt w/ her dr, told him what the pharmacist said, and he laughed and said a derrogatory remark about pharmacists, and said ok then we will try something new. For the first time they did peak flows on her and told me to do them at home. He put her on a nebulizer of pulmicort and albuterol.

This has been 2 weeks ago, and it seems to do absolutely nothing (although she did get better for about 3 days, but went right back again after school today). Her peak flows are at about 83%, but the relentless cough will not go away. For the first time in over a year, she is doing the gagging, partial vomiting again (and this time she isn't even doing activity to bring on the coughing fit). It is 2 in the morning right now, and I am sitting up w/ her cuz it is cough every other breath time. Like I said her peak flow is 83% and was told not to take her in unless drops below 60% blah blah. She is not turning blue, her nail beds are responsive immediately, she is not dizzy or having difficulty in walking or thinking, or doing any of the other signs that would mean she is an emergency, just cough cough cough.

I am just so frustrated, I don't even know what to ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: ready to pull my hair out!!!!

Chrisgj,
I was wondering - I am a 48 year old woman with asthma. I was diagnosed at about 44 years old, about the time I was having severe PMS. I have recently done a saliva test to find my hormone imbalance. I haven't had a period since November, so we are pretty sure something is off. I think this test will show levels in estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, and cortisol. Could my asthma be the result of my hormones? I am working with a great pharmacist who is very knowledgable in this area and who compounds her own hormone creams. I just think its kind of odd that asthma and my hormone symptoms would show up at the same time. I don't have asthma attacks or wheezing. But a lower than normal percentage in my small airways that affects my running a little. I have been told everything from acid reflux to lose some weight. Right now I am about to go crazy because I am having all of the severe PMS symptoms you can think of...I hope and pray getting my body back in balance would help me!! Thanks for any advice
Cindy

Old 02-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Don't double the Advair. 100/50 in the Advair stands for the amount of steroids (100) and the amount of a long-acting bronchodilator (50). The long-acting bronchodilator can cause heart arrhythmias when used incorrectly. I don't mean to scare you. If you're still using the Advair, have the 250/50 dosage handy (get a prescription for it.) My pulmonologist has me do Advair 500/50 three times a day when I'm not doing well, and he says not to use any more than that.

Also, ask the doctor to do some tests on her. That's just ridiculous that she hasn't had any tests done. She should at the very least have a chest x-ray and a sweat test --- two very non-invasive things. Bloodwork and allergy testing would also be ideal.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

It sounds like she is only doing the Advair twice a day though, which is a pretty average dose, especially if the doctor said to do that.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

mtelsey HB User

Thank you very much for your suggestions. In regards to not doubling her advair, I completely see your point. However, I was not the one to decide to double it, it was her dr who suggested it. and doubling it only gives her 200/100, which she could go to 250/100. I saw a dr today, and we are pretty certain her problem lies in reflux. He prescribed tagamet, and put her back on advair for now. He also said when we see her regular dr next to ask for all of these testings. He said they don't really test for asthma and allergies until about the age she is now, cuz they can get better results from the testing at her age. He said they don't really say they have asthma either, instead they call it restrictive airway disease, or something like that, because they don't like to "label" them as asthmatic.

Anyway about the reflux, from reading other postings, I came to the realization that may just be her problem. As an infant, she would throw up an entire bottle everyday, or atleast every other day. She was also a constant spit-upper. She also complains of stomach aches after eating. I asked her if her chest burns after eating, and she said yes when she eats too fast. Her asthma meds burn her throat, and she has complained of that the whole time on them. She has the post-nasal drip constantly, was prescribed singulair for it, but didn't work, and I am now thinking it could also be related to the reflux, the dr agreed. As a test before I went to the dr, when she started her coughing fit last night, instead of doing the albuterol neb, I gave her a tums, almost instantaniously, she stopped coughing.

So in closing, the dr is optimistic- that being on an acid med may in a few months- mean she can completely come off all asthma meds. I will be so happy if this will work, and we don't have to worry about the nebs, inhalers, steroids, all of it, and just take a simple acid control medication to make her live a normal life. I have always thought her coughs were triggered by her throat, and not her lungs. She has never had wheezing, her peak flows always stay above 80%, and her best is 180, which according to the chart is even better than what she should be at her height, which is 173. So doesn't sound like an airway restrictive problem to me.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #6

sharon728 HB User

Hi- I just posted a question to this board, and also read yours, your situation sounds kind of similar, although they have done lung x rays of my son.-twice. Each time they say his xrays look good, but yet they have him on so much medicine it contradicts what they are saying. He has been on antibiotics for over a month this time along with everything else. When we go back to the asthma spec. Im going to insist they do a sweat test. They tell me his chest sounds good one day but the next day deep croupy sounding cough. They have also done allergy tests. - no allergies. If it helps, I know how your feeling, when you hold your child and watch her cough and suffer, it breaks your heart and then when the doctors treat her like another number, you just want to cry. - Sharon

Closed Thread