It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 07:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
I hear that these are causes of asthma problems

I heard that asthma problems are mostly caused by allergies. In other words, allergies come first and it if you treat the allergies, the asthma problems subside. Has anyone dealt with allergies first and found relief? I also heard that silent acid relux/GERD causes asthma type symptoms too along with anxiety can mimic asthma also.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User
Re: I hear that these are causes of asthma problems

Hiya Singer1,

I have been diagnosed with asthma for about a year now. Mine is late onset asthma, I don't have an allergy asthma.

I did breathing tests using different asthma sprays to see if these helped with my shortness of breath, blowing into different apparatus and so on to determine what was causing my problems, and this is how it was diagnosed.

I have GERD problems and suffer from anxiety at times, but neither of these give me the same type of breathing difficulties I have with my asthma.

Only a doctor can determine if in fact you do have asthma, so if you are concerned I would suggest that you speak to him/her. Please don't leave it too long, you may cause a lot of damage to your lungs and so on.

Regards

golenwings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #3

celtic_mom HB User

Chris - who would dx low hormones? I wonder if that might be an issue for me as I quit nursing not long before all of my asthma symptoms appeared.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #4

celtic_mom HB User

Thanks for the reply Chris. I just read some of your previous posts on the subject of low hormones and I was amazed at how much this could apply to me. I've been under significant stress for the last year or so, but much more lately. My DS who is special needs just needed a med change and was having a lot of problems in school. My DH had problems at work. We had to have our 15 y.o. dog put down because of cancer. I have two other children, one a very needy high strung 2 y.o. who makes me stress on a daily basis. I'm sure there are other things I can think of if I tried. I have also noticed a serious decline in my memory over the past year. I assumed it was from lack of sleep and/or stress. I'm going to see if I can find a good osteopath in my area and get that blood work done. Thank you very much for the information!

Old 02-05-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

How come Dr's can't figure this out?

Old 02-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #6

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

For me,,,I found out I had Asthma about a year ago. Had no idea I had allergies,,,went for the back pick test,,,allergic to everything! I'm on allergy shots,,,bottle three,,,still have not noticed a difference. Actually,,,been the sickest I've been this whole winter!
~~Lorrie

Old 02-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #7

celtic_mom HB User

Hey Chris - would hyperthyroid cause hypertension? Immediately after my last two children were born, I became hypertensive. Throughout my pregnancies my BP was 110/70. Then immediately after birth it went out of control. Both times I had to go on pills for months before it went back to normal. The docs didn't have any answers other than the extra weight I was carrying. Of course I was carrying the extra weight plus some before delivery - so that never really made much sense to me. I thought they did check my thyroid though and said it was normal. BTW - I epis with my last two kids - not #1. I really wonder now if everything I've been going through is connected.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:47 AM   #8

celtic_mom HB User

Thanks for looking into that Chris. I really will be amazed if it isn't a hormone problem. Looking down the list of causes for low hormone, I'm a prime candidate.

I find it amazing that in this day and age, doctors still treat the symptoms instead of looking into the cause of the problem. Not that I don't believe in adult onset asthma, and I very well could have it, it's just they seemed more interested in fixing the asthma than the infection and couldn't even explain to me how a relatively healthy (at least I thought) person was so vulnerable to an infection that it could snowball into a full blown asthma attack. None of it made any sense to me and I don't like to blindly follow the advice of someone unless they can explain to me what exactly is happening.

I can't believe I have to wait two more weeks until my appt with the OD! I just want to get to the bottom of this.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

THat's misleading because it's like saying asthma is not a disease on its own, that it's a disease solely precipitated by outside factors.

Admittedly, much of the severe asthma seen all over is allergy-mediated or is related to the same way allergies are mediated even if they aren't directly related to a specific allergen. This is to say that the asthmatic reaction and the allergic reaction play the same game in the same school, if not the same classroom.

Clearing up the allergy problem does not necessarily clear up asthma; technically, asthma is a disease of reversible lower airway obstruction, and therefore any reversible lower airway obstruction is asthma. Allergies can potentially precipitate an asthmatic reaction, yes, but not every asthmatic reaction is precipitated by allergies. I, for example, am one of those anomalous asthmatic people with nearly no allergies except for your general run-of-the-mill seasonal allergies, and while my allergies are worse during particular times of year, a little reactine, a little singulair, and a little benign pollen-count does not cure my asthma, since my airways will still react to other stimuli, such as having a regular ol' viral infection, or strenuous exercise.

It's a good point, that some of the things you mention are triggers for asthmatics or can exacerbate an already-present airway disease, but I think it is an oversimplification to say that if you fix the allergies, the asthma goes away, because it isn't always the case.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya wrin,

Just my two cents worth. I agree with your point "if you fix the allergies, the asthma goes away" being an oversimplification because as I have said before here, I do not have an allergy asthma. I have late onset asthma. I have had all the tests and it is most definitely asthma that I have, so if there are no allergies in my case, what is causing my asthma?

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 02-23-2005 at 03:41 AM.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I just wish traditional doctors would be a LITTLE more open minded about the other factors that could cause asthma. When you mention something like that they look at you like you have two heads. I know that is not their training, but they could at least hear you out and maybe read up on it. I really respect the doctors that will admit: yes, extra vitamin C will keep your immune system running properly, echinacea does help some people, hormones can be a definite factor in asthma. My asthma is definitely linked to my hormones. I don't need a doctor to tell me. I know when I started having asthma symptoms I was almost 40 years old and my hormones were up and down. I don't care what the studies say. I'm a human being, not a statistic.
Everyone is different and responds differently!
Cindy

Old 02-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

I just think that especially with the herbals, a lot of the studies that have been funded by the FDA to see whether a lot of the herbals worked only really got results when they distilled and produced their own product, not when they used a commercially-available-in-a-bottle version, which says a lot about the state of the product the consumer gets their hands on.

Which isn't to say that it isn't getting better, it's just that to talk about alternative medication like it's as powerful-and-useful as drugs developed for specifically this purpose is also an oversimplification, if only because the potency of herbals is something that's not guaranteed, and an effective dosage is nearly impossible to figure out in light of a product that can be highly variable to the point of, in the case of some companies, downright unreliable.

I suppose this means you have to do research on which preparation you are using, and when it comes to vitamins (whose potency IS regulated) to also do your research before doubling or quadrupling the daily recommended dose. Maybe it isn't such a big problem with some supplements but like mentioned before, that much vitamin C would cause diarrhea problems with more than a few people, and there's other supplements, mostly minerals, that when taken in really high doses can cause problems.

You make a good point that everyone responds differently, which is maybe why I lob a healthy dose of skepticism at any book that touts a universal miracle cure in the absence of independently-funded research. Which is why I promote Alternative Medicine but only in the case where you're positively sure about the product and the method used to distill it, when you're positively sure of the training of an individual dispensing the product (since just like I wouldn't buy my prescriptions from a grocery store in Mexico, I won't buy my herbals from anyone but a licensed practitioner,) and I tend to promote products that have had research done on them in an independent fashion, using the commercially available product (like the aforementioned Cold-FX.)

And I will still insist that the best "alternative" medicine to boost immune system consists of regular exercise, eating properly and enough, and getting enough sleep, and that the best "alternative" cold cure is lots of clear fluid.

And if your doctor is looking at you like you're a moron, maybe it's time to find a more respectful practitioner, or if you know it's hormonal, or related to immunosuppression, to get it documented with testing, if only then so that you don't have to convince every new doctor of your situation.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I just know what works for me and my family. I have a doctor/pharmacist who compounds her own formulas. I know it is not safe to just go blindly in a health food store and pick something up off the shelf. I think the majority of people know enough not to do that. I think there are plenty of legitmate studies that are conducted that give proof to herbals and naturals. They may not be conducted by the FDA, but that doesn't mean that are not accurate and thorough. The FDA has their own agenda and I think it's naive to believe they have our best interests at heart.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Wrin,

Have you actually been told by a doctor that you have obstructed air passages? Have you seen pictures of this? I am wondering because it seems like if you go to an asthma/allergy Doc, they treat the symptoms that you verbally tell them even when they don't hear any wheezing going on.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I have just learned that alot of people that are on the FDA board also have the Pharmacuetical (sp) interest as well which means...they are also more of the western medicine way.

Closed Thread