HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Asthma (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/)
-   -   bags and dark circles under eyes...related to asthma? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/asthma/252317-bags-dark-circles-under-eyes-related-asthma.html)

almondjoy 02-12-2005 12:55 AM

bags and dark circles under eyes...related to asthma?

Do you think asthma and the lack of oxygen can cause dark circles and bags under the eyes? Or, could possibly asthma medication cause dark circles and bags under the eyes?

celtic_mom 02-12-2005 06:02 AM

Re: bags and dark circles under eyes...related to asthma?

You know, I noticed that the dark circles under my eyes had become much more pronounced over the past few months. My friends have been telling me it's heredity and there is nothing to be done (aside from the yellow cover stick), but now that I know I've had a lung infection all this time, I'm wondering if they may subside. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

celtic_mom 02-12-2005 07:43 AM

I have an appt in a couple of weeks with a DO that specializes in endocrinology. I'll be very surprised if my hormones aren't out of wack. Regardless of what the doc says, I'll post my results on the adrenal board.

jerrie97 02-12-2005 07:57 AM

Dark circles under the eyes has to do with sinus inflammation. The darkness has to do with venous congestion in that area.

fortunecat 02-13-2005 11:43 AM

Asthma and allergies take a lot out of you and probably are the immediate cause of the bags, but there is something deeper going on with your immune system. I have bags under my eyes, asthma, allergies, extreme hormone fluctuations, insomnia, difficulty maintaining my weight though I exercise and eat right, am prone to tumors and growths, always tired and frequently get sick with the flu or sinus infections. My dr. is convinced it's all connected. I have had tons of blood tests, thyroid tested, no std's or viral infections, etc. We are finally getting to the root of it all, and it really seems like a hormone imbalance is key. However, hormone blood tests on a given day do not always produce results signifying this. I've had to do several saliva tests over the course of a month each time to help figure this out.

Gal4Dale88USP 02-13-2005 01:26 PM

I'll tell ya,,,when I'm in a flare I get dark circles under my eyes. Normally,,,you can't really notice them. I look in the mirror and think,,,,AAHHHHHHH!!!!!
~~Lorrie :)

almondjoy 02-16-2005 12:37 AM

Very interesting thoughts posted here...I wonder if your hormones are not balanced, which hormone(lack of or too much of) may cause cirlcles and bags?
I take thyroid medication and I do have sinus problems in the winter, and allergies year round, if I am exposed to the allergens.
Maybe all of these problems combined cause my cirlces and bags.
I read somewhere to take lots of vitamin C to tighten the skin and lighten the color under the eyes. And, vitamin C is helpful in producing cortisone in the body, which helps prevent lung problems.

engineer1961 02-16-2005 12:40 AM

Asthmatics in general don't sleep very well ........right there that 'll give you dark circles and puffy eyes ......and I know personally if i get a cold ..boom there goes those few precious hour i normally get !