It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

Jiloa HB User
Question Chronic, Dry Cough

Hello! This is my first visit to this board. I have had mild to moderate allergy-related asthma since childhood. I had to use Alberturol occasionally. However, I have had a handful of ER visits, usually due to allergy related attacks.

Over the last several years, after getting a cold, it turns into a chronic bronchitis thing, with a cough that lasts a couple months. This year, I had the same issue. Started with a cold, turned into bronchitis, and after several months, I still have this relentless dry cough. Cough, cough, cough... in the morning, throughout the day, while I sleep. I also have to use the Albuterol much more often. I get very winded and have chest pains.

Dry heat areas are the worst for me...I have a little steam humidifer at work, which helps some... at least makes the cough productive.

The doctor ordered lung x-rays, and all looks clear. Doctor put me on Advair. Didnt' seem to help much. She wanted to increase my dosage, but I quit it. I don't like the long term side effects.

I am 100 pounds overweight, and I know this absolutely plays into my problems. Please tell me that losing weight has helped you dramatically with your asthma. I need the inspiration!!

Does anyone here have these issues? If so, what do you do for the nasty cough?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Jiloa; 02-24-2005 at 01:06 PM.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Chronic, Dry Cough

Jiloa,
I just finished replying to your other post, but wish I had read this one first. I am also overweight about 70 lbs. My allergist told me to my face that my asthma would improve dramatically if I lost weight. She is the only doctor that has told me that concerning my asthma. I have had sinus and allergies and did not develop asthma until I was 45 (I am 48 now). I, just lilke you, develop a cold which turns into a cough that lingers forever! I have never had to go to the ER but I felt really crummy. I monitor my peak flow very well and I have never gone below my 80%. I use Advair, albuterol as needed, and the vitamins and herbs I listed in my other post. I have been on Advair about 9 months and it has really helped me. I also have GERD (acid reflux) and losing weight will help that also. My blood pressure and blood sugar is also a little high and losing weight wil help , too. So, I have tons of reasons to lose weight. I have lost a measly 3 lbs this month, but I guess its a start. I developed this respiratory infection Tuesday and the doctor has me on an antibiotic, cough syrup, and a 6 day steroid pack. My cough is not very productive, but the medicines are starting to help some. So, yes, losing weight will help your asthma and also exercising and giving your lungs a real workout. If you are like me, walking up several flights of stairs is not easy. But the more we do the more our heart and lungs will adapt. Good luck and I will stay tuned to encourage you all I can.
Cindy
As for the nasty cough, I am taking Tussionex (prescription). But also what helps me is drinking tons of water and also hot drinks like tea. Something else that helps is to eat a hot pepper or something really spicy.
Oh, don't give up on the Advair! It took me months to see a real difference. The side affects are really minimal since it is a not an oral steroid.

Last edited by Howitt44; 02-12-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
(female)

almondjoy HB User

I am not getting enough air in my left lung, so I cough. Sometimes, I cough so hard I vomit.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

Jiloa HB User

Thank you so much for your response! I still have been feeling really icky. The stubborn, relentless cough is nasty. Tomorrow I have a dr. appt. I would like her to prescribe something other than Advair. I have read too many nasty side effects, and I don't want to become dependent on it.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
(female)

dreamer79 HB User

My son is 2 and he coughs alll the time with his Asthma the best thing for him is abuterol treatments from the nueblizer.

~Dreamin of you tonight, till tomorrow and for all of the night~

Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

Jiloa HB User

When I went to the doctor last Thursday, I told her how I prefer not to be on steroids. I explained that the Advair didn't seem to help much, and I broke out in a rash over most of my body two days after I quit taking it. This same rash thing also happened to me some weeks earlier a couple days after I finished a 10 day regimine of Predisone.

She had me do my peak flow thing while I was there....it made me cough so bad. She told me that if I didn't decrease the inflamation, I was in danger of it turning into COPD or emphysema at some point down the line. That's why she wanted me on the steroid. She told me that since Advair only works on the upper part of your body, the bad steroid side effects do not apply. However, I have read much differently.

My doctor is very open to discuss other treatments, and very understanding. She respects my opinion. She changed my treatment such that I am now on Singular and Albuterol nebulizer treatments.

I thank God that I am now quite a bit better! The coughing attacks have GREATLY reduced. I can now nearly sleep through the entire night. I am SO THANKFUL to God!! I still get short of breath throughout the day, but I feel I am ON THE MEND!!

Last edited by Jiloa; 02-24-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Closed Thread