It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
(male)

unleashed HB User
Exclamation Please help me!

Hello i'm new to the boards. I have been having some problems breathing. my chest feels heavy (tight) and my breaths are small. anyways i went to the emergency room. they did a chest xray, ekg, and took some blood work. everything came out fine. I then went to my family docotor and told them my problems. They gave me singulair and it worked for awhile then it stopped having much if any affect. i went back and they gave me advair 100/50 and it has been working very well untill last night. the labored breathing has come back. i've been taking the advair for about 2 weeks and singulair for about a month.

so my questions are....is this common? for meds to work then lose effect? do i need a higher strength of advair? do i have asthma at all? does allergens take away the effect of the meds? i know yall may not be doctors but you do have asthma so yall know something about it. i'm just really confused. thanks for your replies!

Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Re: Please help me!

I've never had trouble with meds "not working anymore" but I have had my asthma get to the point where it was worse, and I felt like I did before I was taking maintenance meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Like wrin said, never had problems with meds losing effect, just have needed more at certain times. Sometimes if it's a particularly bad time i'll be on high doses of all kinds of steroids and all kinds of decongestants, cough medicine, inhalers, etc. While at other times I can get by days with no problems on a daily dose of advair 100/50, clarinex & flonase. For me it depends on infections and allergies. You may want to find out what your triggers are & if you have allergies in testing. Also remember triggers are not always allergies- can be things like smoke & weather. And your advair may not have taken full effect, sometimes it can take months for it to take full effect. Another option is that you start off on a higher dose of advair then when you reach control, drop down to the lowest possible dose to stay healthy.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

According to an Achieving Total Control asthma conference I attended, one of the pulmonologists said they're finding that it can take as much as six months of consistant inhaled steroid usage to have it fully take effect.

Symbicort is a drug that's tailored to be patient-adjusted to maintain control. The dosages are ratioed as such that when you're feeing sick, you take a little extra in the morning and at night, and after a week or so, you go back to your regular dosage. It's sort of the whole point of the product, according to the pamphlets I've read, and I've had a lot of really good luck with it.

Closed Thread