It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 05:56 AM   #1

celtic_mom HB User
What is this?

Okay, so my cough hasn't completely gone away but it is sporadic. Some days I don't cough at all and then all of a sudden I feel congested or tight and have to cough. I'll cough up some phlegm, and then feel fine until the tight feeling comes back again. There is no wheezing. Actually, before I cough I feel wheezy on inhale.

This morning I woke at 4 a.m. and felt fine, but then all of a sudden started having the chest tightening /congested feeling and needing to cough. More than I have since I was treated for my lung infection.

My last prednisone was two days ago. So could this be my allergic asthma coming back out because the prednisone is gone (I am on singular though). Could it be that I have not kicked the initial infection? My other thought is that it's anxiety. I thought it was odd that I didn't have that tight feeling until after I woke up. But then again, anxiety wouldn't produce phlegm I wouldn't think.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I've still been too nervous to exercise again because I'm afraid of starting an attack that leads me back to the hospital. If this is my allergic asthma, what do I do? I didn't use my inhaler because I could breath, I just needed to cough up phlegm. Is this "normal"?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #2

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
Re: What is this?

Howdy

I am coughing something TERRIBLE. I get on a roll,,,can't get my breath,,,scares me to death. I know in Michigan they are talking about a 'phantom cough' going around,,,not sure what that is though.

Sure hope you stop coughing,,,me to for that matter!

~~Lorrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 03:20 AM   #3

celtic_mom HB User

Phantom cough? I love the names they come up with when they don't have a clue. Are you still fighting an infection Lorrie or is your coughing from asthma? When's the last time you saw a doc?

I really am starting to believe that my infection still may not be gone. I just don't know how to tell. Maybe it's anxiety and I'm just worrying too much. I can take a deep breath and breathe out, but when I get down to pushing the last bit of air out it makes me cough up phlegm again (this had gone away). I don't think there is any wheezing yet though.

I was on 500 Levaquin for 12 days. My neighbor (who also has asthma and a sinus infection) was just put on 750 Levaquin. I called my docs office, but the only one who could see me anytime soon was the NP and I don't have a lot of faith in her (not that all NPs, just this particular one). I was toying with the idea or calling my sister (who's a pdoc) and asking her to write a script for 750 Levaquin. Do you think this could hurt? I have other doc appts scheduled - one pulmonary spec and one with an OD - but both are several weeks away. Even my f/u with my reg GP is two weeks from now. I just don't want to let an infection get to the point it did before.

I just wish I knew whether this was an asthma thing or an infection thing. The breathing issue is different this time. As before I felt the wheezing on exhale and clearly an asthma attack. Now my chest just feels "heavy" but I can breath and I still cough up phlegm (by exhaling deeply). The albuterol doesn't do a thing for it. I just wish I was back to "normal".

Oh, I'm on Singular, but I only started two weeks ago. Does that take a while to kick in?

I really hope that with Spring all this clears up for a while. I hope you feel better soon too Lorrie!

Old 02-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #4

celtic_mom HB User

Update....

Okay, so after a shower and a mucinex I'm coughing up green stuff. So does that mean it is definitely infection?

Old 02-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I just got over being sick. First I had the sinus infection stuff and drainage and then the ticklish cough that went to just a lot of chest congestion. It got to where I couldn't cough it up. I would lay in bed at night and hear the mucus in my chest. It scared me! I would sit straight up and try to cough it up but it wouldn't come. I called my doctor the next day and he called me in a steroid pack. Six days total. The first day you take six pills, the next five, etc. I felt better in 24 hours! I also took Tussionex its a very strong cough syrup that helped thin the mucus but also helped me sleep. In less than 2 weeks, I'm over my sinus infection and cough and that's really fast for me!

Old 02-19-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
(male)

jaymz HB User

my son was in the hospital for 6 days being treated for asthma until his lungs cleared enough to show it was pneumonia, he was breathing very fast and had a temp of 102.3 when i took him to er its amazing what breathing treatments can do, we got a nebulizer from the hospital for breathing treatments as needed works great for asthma

Old 02-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #7

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Hi Celtic!
Sorry taking so long to reply,,,I was sick,,,AGAIN! The coughing got so bad I would almost pass out,,,could not move the phlem to get air. I'm on the whole sick group of meds,,,again,,,eeeeerrrrrrr.
I'm thinking if the stuff you are coughing up is green,,,that usually means infection. I'd go get it checked out for sure.
How are you feeling now??
~~Lorrie

Old 02-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
(female)

Kmama4 HB User

{{{Hugs}}} to all of you! Sounds like we are all in the same boat. I have been coughing up a lot of gunk and breathing is really hard for me right now. I think I am leaning towards it being an infection myself.

Singulair does take a while to kick in. It can take up to a couple of weeks or so. I took it for a while and it helped me for a few months but I became resistant to it, which is a problem I seem to have with most meds. I hope it works for you, when it did work for me it was awesome!

Old 02-21-2005, 05:29 AM   #9

celtic_mom HB User

Thanks all for the replies. Lorrie - I got a script for 750 Levaquin and day 2 my chest tightness went away. I'm still coughing up greenish stuff, so I'm convinced it is infection still. Mucinex works great for getting rid of some phlegm - I'd pick some up if you aren't already taking it.

Kmama, if you haven't already - go to a doc and get checked - if you have an infection you DO NOT want it to go as long as I did!! That is how I ended up in the hospital!

My working theory now is that I had a sinus infection first that I must have had forever. I can't remember the last time I could breath through both sides of my nose before the first round of Levaquin. The xithromax my GP put me on a month earlier didn't do anything for it. My sinuses started blocking up again a couple days after my last dose of Levaquin.

I would love to hear stories from people who have had to go on multiple courses of antibiotics to kick a respiratory infection. It's starting to worry me that the first 10 days of Levaquin didn't get rid of this thing.

Last edited by celtic_mom; 02-21-2005 at 05:55 AM.

Closed Thread