It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User
Asthma and Sleep Apnea?

Ok, something I didnt think to ask my doc...I have Asthma it startedabout two yrs ago and have also been having Sleep Apnea apparently. DOes anyone suffer with both and if you areon a CPAP machine did your asthma improve any? I was just wondering if there was any prob using a CPAP with having Asthma (I get worried about EVERYTHING lol) They hooked me up to the CPAP while I was there to fit me for a mask and let me try it out a little since I also have bad anxiety they wanted me to try and get used to it. I actualy felt pretty good after breathing with it for a bit I felt sooo much more awake. Just wondering if maybe once I start using this it will help my asthma...

P.S.I am also posting this on the Sleep disorders board...

Old 02-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
Re: Asthma and Sleep Apnea?

Reactive airways and obstructive sleep apnea are completely unrelated, anatomically.

Asthma, or reactive airways disease, is a disease where the lower airway smooth muscle is exceedingly reactive and likes to clamp down under certain conditions, also creating inflammation and excessive phlegm production.

Obstructive sleep apnea are when the upper airway structures collapse during deeper sleep and obstruct the airway, causing a cessation of airflow. CPAP helps prop open the upper airway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

GILLIBABES HB User

I have been reading up on this as I too have asthma and was just considering sleep apnea because I am so tired all the time and would get awoken by a whole body jerk . I'm by no means an expert and I understand what the member above is saying, but all the information I have read says that the two are related in some way and it is very common to have both. Just type sleep apnea into your usual search engine and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
(female)

pghprincesse HB User
Smile Re: Asthma and Sleep Apnea?

Wow...MissAmethyst...I have the EXACT same problem...and funny you asked about it because I was going to post a question!! I'm glad I found your post I also have asthma, sleep apnea and general anxiety disorder. I do have a CPAP machine, but don't use it like I should because when I put the mask on, I am okay while I'm awake...but the moment I feel myself falling asleep, my breathing changes and I panic and then gasp! Do you or did you go through that as well??

Old 04-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

Well, I havnt slept with it on yet. I actually had a second sleep study for this past week and well 5 hrs before it was time for it I got rushed to the ER for what they thought might have been appendicitis so it had to be rescheduled and now I have to wait a MONTH! Grrrr!!! I am pretty miserable. Now that I know I stop breathign in my sleep add that to my anxiety and panic attacks and well I dont sleep good at all! I cant wait for my sleep study actually cause I am hoping using the CPAP that night I will actually get a good nights sleep (I know probably wishful thinking) plus my asthma has been kinda bad lately so I am pretty much a grumpy unrested sick person right now... hopefully things will get better after I get my CPAP...

Old 04-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

You will probably be fabulously amazed at how well the CPAP works.

A lot of time there has to be a second study where they titrate the CPAP to a proper level so as to reduce the amount of events you have.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

yeah this will be my 2nd study so far. I had the first one but I am used to being up til 2am or so so when I had to be there at 10pm and go right to sleep almost it didnt work too well so they didnt get to do the CPAP that night. I gotta go back for that and then hopefully I will get my machine VERY soon afterwards. The home healthcare company I will be getting it through (as I dont have many options because of my insurance they were GREAT about my nebulizer I called the docs office around noon told them insurance said yes they would pay for it doc called home healthcare place and they called my insurance company and well this started at noon and I had my neb at my door by 4pm the same day! I couldnt have asked for better service lol....hopefully my CPAP will be that easy to get...

Old 04-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

There are options too about which mask etc. and which fit you prefer, try to go with a company that has a wide selection in masks not only the Respironics masks but the Viasys masks as well (I actually vastly prefer the Viasys masks to the Respironics, I find the Viasys is easier to fit time and time again and takes a beating quite well as long as you're careful about the outer membrane on the nosepiece.)

Which CPAP machine are you interested in? Is it going to be an auto-titrating model or will it be a single set CPAP level? There is research showing favor for the auto-titrating model, though I really don't hold out much of a difference for one over the other since there's no industry standard for the 'auto titrating' algorithm the machine uses to decide to go up or down on your CPAP.

A humidifier is most definitely a fabulous investment if you have troubles with dry noses (not everyone does) but make sure to fill it with sterile distilled water only and clean it religiously according to manufacturer's directions.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

I looked at the machines I dont get an option I dont think its whatever they give me. I am on SSI so I have state insurance and well I dont get many options...I know I should get some option as far as a face piece and two I found I like were the comfort lite (not sure who makes it thats all the lady wrote down and the Mirage Swift...I also like the looks of the Comfort Curve that hasnt come out on market yet through Respironics...I have Asthma and Allergies really bad so I am sure I am gonna want the humidifier part too...not sure what else I should really be looking at...

Old 04-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

I bet money then that it's the kind where you set-it-and-forget-it where it's just one CPAP level.

Comfort Lite and Comfort Curve are Respironics masks. Mirage is made by ResMed who also in my opinion makes a better mask than Respironics. I'm not a fan of the swift since it's a system like prongs that you stuff in your nose and they're harder to get a comfortable fit with.

My favourite is probably the Mirage Activa because of the way it fits, with the adjustable nose-bridge piece and the forehead pillows, and the clips in the front instead of having to thread headgear through bits in the front. It's so nice for quickly putting the mask on (because of the clips it remembers how tight you have the headgear set) and quickly ripping it off (one squeeze and the whole works is off your face right now.) I also like the way it fits but it's one of those ones that has a delicate outer membrane that you have to be very careful not to rip when you're washing it, they call it ActiveCell. Not that it's delicate, the ResMed masks by far take a better beating than the Respironics ones.

When you go to get your CPAP machine they'll try you with all the masks they have and see which one fits you the best. The reason I like the Mirage masks is beause the masks I use have to take a real beating, be easy to put on and pull off, and be easy to fit and consistent.

The point is it's all about your comfort, when they're putting the mask on don't worry about comfort, make faces and relax your head and see if it blows in your eyes, see if you can adjust the headgear. If it is anything less than comfortable, try a different mask. You're gonna have to sleep with this on.

Closed Thread