It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User
treatment of colds

My husband has asthma. Every time he gets a cold he feels helpless as he can't take your normal over the counter medicines. For those of you who have reactions to OTC medicine, what do you do to help your cold symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #2

celtic_mom HB User
Re: treatment of colds

Has he tried zicam or cold-eeze? I swear by cold-eeze if you take it at the onset of a cold. I just keep sucking on them all day. A friend just used the zicam and said she believed it did shorten the duration as well.

As far as for cough and sinus issues, I really have no suggestions as I generally hit the OTC meds pretty hard. He has reactions to all OTC cold meds or specific ingredients? I know if I take anything with dextromethorphan I'm a zombie for days, so check labels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

5,000 mg vitamin C.....I know I'd be in the bathroom with diarrhea....can't even imagine what 20,000 mg would do. At least one wouldn't be focussed on the cold anymore!! Chris, you really take 20,00 mg vitamin C???

I do take fairly high dosage of vitamin C anyway, but never have gone beyond 3,000.

Chris, do you have any experience with Cold FX?

I'm just getting over a cold that nothing (Vitamin C increase and Cold FX and zinc) helped. It hit so quickly as a sinus infection that I knew I'd never get over.

One interesting thing, it never really affected my asthma as the last one did.....I'm guessing that different viruses hit different areas of the respiratory system? Do you know anything about that?

My husband and I got the same virus this time...misery for sure!

quincy

Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User

I am not one of those people who believes in books, herbals, miracle cures, and all the other marketing B.S. that's floating around. My opinion is that if it really worked, it would work for enough people and have been passed around long enough that there would be clinical studies to back it up.

Like how studies using a concentrated distilled form of the active ingredients in echinacea have proven that it does help you fight off colds a little faster, and that other supplements such as Cold-FX which is ginseng-based (and was tested extensively on professional athletes using double-blind-placebo randomized controlled scientifically sound trials, and then on healthy human subjects other than athletes,) seem to help.

Look on the packaging for the contents of any additives to which you may be sensitive, such as lactose, sulfites, colourings, or particular preservatives.

The best help for sore throats is lozenges, either zinc ones or Halls or an anaesthetic lozenge like Cepacol, or just a regular ol' candy, just to keep the saliva flowing and the irritation from a dry throat to a minimum.

Lots of water being drunk is great at keeping nasal/chest secretions loose and easy to clear, keeping throat irritation and painful coughing to a minimum.

Inhaling steam seems to help the goo in my sinuses drain out, and postural drainage with or without thumping can sometimes help when I can feel a pain in my chest that I know to be retained secretions. I find that I'm sensitive to menthols when I'm cold-y so if I want the water to smell like something to soothe my throat I throw a chamomile tea bag or green tea into the bowl, mostly just so it smells nice.

Humidifiers are both a blessing and a curse; they keep secretions easier to clear, but they are also a breeding ground for more bacteria. They keep dust out of the air, however dust MITES love humid environments and flourish in them.

If your nose gets so stupid-blocked it isn't even funny, I'm personally not a big fan of nasal decongestants (spray or otherwise) simply because they seem to make the problem worse rather than better. I'd rather irrigate with sterile saline (available at the drugstore for precisely this reason) to try to flush a lot of it out, or if you're feeling that decongestant-induced dry-nose feeling, the saline sometimes helps wet things a little bit again.

Do make an effort to clear secretions that you feel rattling around in your chest -- don't cough yourself to a fractured rib, but deep breathing and a good hearty cough is a healthy way to rid yourself of the lovely culture medium that is phlegm.

Warm baths can help because of the humid-environment factor.

Get lots and lots of sleep! If you're tired, sleep! And if you have a bad cold, DO NOT tough it out and go to work -- you're just going to give it to some other poor sap who has to then deal with your misery.

Using the methods above (and lots of handwashing as prevention) I've managed to get over every episode of viral colds/sinus infections/bronchitis that I've had in the last five or six years with no antibiotics and a minimum of OTC medications (which is usually reserved to a cough suppressant, used in times of desperation, when I know I'm not bronchospastic and when the reflexive dry-cough is keeping me from sleeping.)

Closed Thread