It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #1

celtic_mom HB User
Ugh!! I'm over the coughing and phlegm!!

Please tell me it will end! I don't see my doc for another week and it's driving me crazy. I know I shouldn't complain, because I know so many more people are in worse shape than I am right now, but it just feels like it will never end. After being treated for the infection, I thought the cough was going away until 2 days off prednisone and 7 days off Levaquin I started coughing a lot again and produced green phlegm. My chest also started getting "tight", but not like it was with the asthma attack - this time it seemed harder to breath in than out. I went back on Levaquin and the tightness went away and the phlegm is now clear again, but I keep coughing. I guess I should be grateful I'm able to sleep at night.

Plus my sinuses are completely congested again. How long does it take to shake all the coughing/phlegm after a lung infection? Is this at all normal??

Update: I just had a coughing fit that produced green phlegm again. Could it be that I just have a lot of gunk in my lungs that still needs to be coughed up ? Or does it sound like I need a different antibiotic?

Last edited by celtic_mom; 02-24-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #2

Gal4Dale88USP HB User
Re: Ugh!! I'm over the coughing and phlegm!!

Boy you got me on that one. I know as the winter goes on,,,the more infections I get,,,the longer they take to clear up. I'm still coughing and it's been about 3 weeks for me. However,,,the stuff I'm coughing up is not green any longer. I'd call the doctors office and ask to speak to a nurse,,,they sould be able to give you some guidence.
Hope you feel better soon!
~~Lorrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 AM   #3

celtic_mom HB User

Thanks for the reply Lorrie. Funny thing is when I had that coughing fit, I really coughed hard and think I cleared stuff really deep down. I've felt pretty good right after that. I'm still coughing, but I'm not nearly as congested. Also, most of the stuff I cough up is clear, I really had to cough hard to bring up the green stuff.

I would call my docs, but the only thing they would do is tell me to come in and see the nurse practitioner. I'd rather just go ahead and wait until I can see my reg GP next week. Not that I have anything against NPs, I just feel more comfortable with my GP right now. If the cough gets worse I'll go ahead and make the call though.

I hope you feel better soon too. Lord I can't wait until Spring!

Old 02-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #4

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Boy I hear ya on that one,,,bring on Spring! Although,,,that means springtime allergies!!! LOL

When I cough,,,I don't always get 'stuff' up,,,seems I really have to cough to get anything. The other night I had such a deep coughing spell it felt like someone was picking my entire torso with pins,,,it HURT so bad!!!

Hope your feeling better!
~~Lorrie

Closed Thread