It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

pat52 HB User
Could this be asthma -heart related -or weather?

Two weeks ago I took a brisk walk in the park. The temperature was around 40 degrees with a slight wind. After walking for about 30 minutes - I began to cough (very deep coughs) and gasping for air. This lasted about 15 -20 minutes off and on-when I took a deep breath -I was wheezing and had trouble taking a deep breath. This happened again after a 30 minute walk in the parktoday- I began to cough - lungs / chest kind of burning sensation with deep cough and difficulty taking in a deep breath-wheezing. I plan on going to my doctor but she will not be back from vacation until end of next month. The temperature was in the upper 40's and a slight wind.
I take high blood pressure pills but they keep my pressure around 98/65. I'm not sure if it's heart related or just some kind of spasms due to walking in the cool air. A little concern because this has never happened before -but twice in a month-I'm a little worried.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Could this be asthma -heart related -or weather?

It could be asthma. My son has exercize induced asthma. He also gets attacks when he's outside in the cool air for too long.
If I were you, I wouldn't wait till your doctor gets back from vacation. I'd see whoever is taking her cases until she gets back. If it is asthma you're suffering from, it's VERY SERIOUS and not to be taken lightly. It only takes one attack to kill you. Sorry to be so blunt but it's true.
Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
(female)

sue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB Usersue430 HB User

I would suggest going to the dr as soon as possible, there must be another dr covering for your dr, isn't there? It could be asthma, cardiac, or even certain blood pressure meds (beta blockers) can cause asthma like symptoms or exacerbate asthma. Waiting til the end of next month is a long time to worry about what is going on with you. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello Pat52,

Having had two heart attacks and bypass surgery, I can honestly say I don't for one minute think there is a problem with your heart.

My asthma is not allergy related, cold air or indeed warm air and even gentle exercise can bring it on. I agree with Bosmon anbd sue430 that is sounds so much like asthma that you really need to get to your doctors office asap.

goldenwings

Old 02-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #5

Gal4Dale88USP HB User

Ditto,,,I'd get to the doctor as soon as you can. I have Asthma and know when I get out in the cold air I have the same symptoms as you. Still,,,better to be safe than sorry.

~~Lorrie

Old 02-26-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Sounds like asthma to me. I have excercise induced asthma and cold air or warm humid air bring on problems. I would see someone though now to get it under control. (look who's talking, mine isn't) but I haven't found a doctor that I feel comfortable with. I also have allergies and they say that allergies are mostly the cause of asthma symptoms. Allergies come first. I don't know who to believe or what kind of doctor to see anymore. Hope you have better luck!

Closed Thread