It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Question Wheezing?

Okay, I'm just curious...a few weeks ago, I went to my GP to get some refills on medication, and he listened to my heart/lungs and everything...then he wrote me the perscriptions I needed. When I filled the RX for my Albuterol, I noticed this time it said "take every 4-6 hours as needed for wheezing" or somthing to that affect...but last time it said "take every 4-6 hours for shortness of breath/coughing". Why the difference? Any ideas? I mean...I don't think I wheeze...I've noticed that sometimes I seem to breath a lot noisier than other people...but I don't think I'd call it a wheeze...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
(female)

chloecat HB User
Re: Wheezing?

I also use Albuterol as a last resort for coughing and shortness of breath. Wheezing is just another symptom of asthma, so it's strange that the label has two different wordings. If you were wheezing you would feel a narrowing of the airways. You would notice it and hear it. It sounds like your predominant symptom is the coughing and shortness of breath. The wheezing usually happens periodically for me, so for a long time I didn't even know I had asthma. If you find out why the label is different, post the reason here. It is interesting that you noticed this. By the way, since we're on the subject of Albuterol, is this stuff safe? My heart rate seems to go up and I shake so bad! I'm not sure if it's just a small side effect that everyone gets or if it really is dangerous for certain body types.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Take your albuterol when you need it -- whether that be for wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, or whatever.

I noticed something similar with my most recent albuterol prescription. It said something like "Take every 4-6 hours", and by no means am I going to always take that thing every 4-6 hours.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

LOL...I posted somewhere else, and a pharmacist responded and said that sometimes doc just write it differently...lol...I was planning on just taking it when I needed it anyway, I just noticed it was different, and thoguht that was interesting.

Closed Thread