It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
(male)

Fear HB User
How bad is my asthma?

Hello first post in here....i have been getting what i call bad asthma recently...its no coincidence though that i have also a lot of mucus in my throat that i cant cough up its just there...i am sure is a factor plus chronic anxiety.

My normal condition is just use the ventolin now and again..hardly at all infact unless i strenous excercise...then i was using it like 6 times aday...went to the docs and got becotide250 4 puffs aday plus serevent.....dont like the write ups on that even though it works well (anxiety you see)...used the becotide250 3 times aday and use ventolin now 3/4 times still...BUT i have monitered it on the peak flow meter...after ventolin i am 730 (5 ft 11in and 35 years old) and when i feel i need ventolin i am around 650...not even 20% difference although it really feels like i am having a major attack???????

Any replies appreciated.

Last edited by Fear; 03-08-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran

reader1 HB User
Re: How bad is my asthma?

You need to call your doctor. It sounds like your asthma is still poorly controlled despite the addition of an inhaled steroid. Dr should give you a diagnosis of mild/moderate/severe persistent or recurrent asthma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

gnote HB User

I don't consider myself as having a bad case of asthma, yet I've been taking singular (pill) 1X at pm along with 2 puffs of pulmicort. I know a lot of people who seem worse than me, yet take only ventolin or nothing. You may want to ask the doctor about prescribing you singular or something similar. It's all about treating yourself rather than depending on ventolin which I only use for strenuous exercise, as you mentioned. I hope your doctor has given you that thorough breathing test using the machine w/o medicine and w/ medicine. If not, you better ask for it. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi
Do you think that you have asthma? I develpoed asthma about a year ago, having bad attacks at night especially. Although my symptoms didn't quite fit with asthma, as my peak flow readings were always really good and spirometry showed that I have bigger lung volume than most other people!
My oher symptoms are sore throat, cough, mucus in throat that stays no matter how much I try to get rid of it, belching, bloated. Other people get heartburn, indigestion. If this sounds like you you may have gerd or LPR rather than asthma. Check out the gerd board.
Hope this helps.
Tesss

Old 03-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

For your age you peak flow is good ,i'm the same age and never blow over 450 !Mabye the anxiety is effecting your breathing , are you overly stressed right now ?Could it be a panic attack ?I have afriend that thought she had asthma (so did here doc un tile she had and attack in his office then they discovered what it was ,also her PF was never very low). Good luck.

Last edited by engineer1961; 08-28-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bluebanana HB User

HI
Peakflow is different for everyone, some people have fab peak flows, other have lower ones, it is personal.
If you do have asthma you need to discuss with your dr you fears about the becotide. My advice would be to take it as prescribed and ignore the write ups. The amount of steroid that gets into your blood stream is minimal and not enough to cause any problems. It is not until you need oral steroids that you get problems, if you don't treat your asthma properly then you are more likely to need these!.
Also every one reacts different to different pf drops, just cos some of us don't struggle much at less than 20% reduction, doesn't mean you shouldn't
try not to worry and go and have a chat with an asthma nurse
love blue

Closed Thread