It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 02:10 AM   #1

celtic_mom HB User
Is this asthma or allergies or something else?

Hi again. Well my saga continues. I was finally thinking I was on the upswing again. I was getting over the latest cold and it appeared, at any rate, that it hadn't moved into my chest.

Today I was doing fine. Hardly any coughing. Mostly PND stuff, but all productive - phlegm responsible coughing.

Then tonight, after dinner, my DH said I looked flushed. I had noticed that I had been breathing harder and went to look in a mirror and sure enough, my cheeks were blood red. I had just finished eating a lot of strawberries, so now I'm wondering if it was that. I also realized that my right hand seemed very cold, much more so than my left.

The strange thing about my breathing though was that it wasn't like it was when I had the asthma attack. It's the opposite. I have no problem breathing out, but in. It feels like my chest is tight. When I cough real hard I loosen things up and seem to be able to breathe a bit better, but it doesn't last long.

So I got up and used my inhaler (which I haven't had to use since coming home from the hospital). That actually did seem to help some, so I went to be. About 3 hours later, I woke up and started coughing. I felt that tightness again, so I used the inhaler again. I also realized that my sinuses were blocked, so I used some saline to clear them. That did the trick, so I went back to bed.

Now it is another 3 hours later and I'm up again. Same thing, hard to inhale, not exhale. I feel stuff in my chest and can cough it out for temp relief, but it seems that unless I use the inhaler, it just immediately "fills" back up. Does that make sense? So this time I took a decongestant and some expectorant in addition to using the inhaler. I don't want to take an antihistamine because I'm having allergy testing on Monday and they said no antihistamines 10 days prior.

So now what? Do I need to call the doctor or is this a normal post "attack" occurrence that I just treat with the inhaler until it goes away? Does this sound like an asthmatic episode or an allergic one? And what is the difference? Does it sound like I could be getting another infection? I'm not coughing any colored phlegm up, but I wasn't before I went to the hospital either. But then again, I wasn't coughing much at all before this incident tonight.

Anyone with experience, please post, because I'm really uncertain as to how I should deal in these situations. I think my anxiety isn't helping matters either. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Is this asthma or allergies or something else?

I have never really experienced anything like that. Could be an infection. I know must asthma problems are on the exhale, but I don't think having the problem being on the inhale excludes it from being asthma.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 AM   #3

celtic_mom HB User
Re: Is this asthma or allergies or something else?

Yeah, that was my experience last time, but I just got back from the doc and she seems to think that I'm having an astmatic reaction to the cold I was just getting over (ya'd think it would have happened BEFORE I was almost better -sheesh). Anyway, I told her I would rather not do oral steroids right now because I'm having allergy testing on Monday. She gave me a script for xopomax (sp?) and Pulmacot (also sp?). They are delivering a nebulizer today sometime. She said that if I need to use the neb more than every 4 hours, I need to start taking prednisone. UGH! I was just a few days away!!

She doesn't think the infection is bacterial because I got it following a cold, but I wish I had pushed for the antibiotics now anyway just in case. If this thing is bacterial, and it goes longer I fear another trip to the hospital

Closed Thread