It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #1

blipstutter HB User
Inhalers

I've been taking Ventolin from a young age, and it seems they've discontinued it. I'm wondering what's replaced it as the standard inhaler? Over the years I've had doctors prescribe me various brands of Albuterol, mainly generics but I feel a bit out of the loop, and never get the feeling they're up on things either. I was taught to take puffs when needed, and I usually wait till I'm pretty congested before pulling them out. So I'm not looking for anything I would have to take every day, or every four hours in order for it to work.

Any suggestions of a new inhaler I can ask my doctor about?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Inhalers

Why not just get some Albuterol? Use it every 4-6 hours as needed...least that seems to be the norm...but whatever your doc thinks is appropriate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
(female)

storm12 HB User

I agree - why not just get albuterol? What's the problem? I was on Ventolin for a long time, but the first time several years ago that I was offered generic albuterol, I took it and it's all I ask for now -it's so much less expensive than the brand name, and it has the same effect.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Isn't Ventolin just another brand of Albuterol?

Old 03-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
(male)

chuzzlewit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget
Isn't Ventolin just another brand of Albuterol?
No, Ventolin is a name-brand of the generic drug Albuterol. Sort of like a Kleenex is a tissue. Same thing, cheaper.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:25 AM   #6

celtic_mom HB User

Good news - I just read in an article dated March 11th, that xopenex will be available in inhaler form by the end of the year.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Woohoo!!!! I was really interested in Xopenex, because Albueterol makes me sick to my stomach and shaky and tachycardic. I asked my doctor to let me try xopenex, but she said my asthma is too severe for xopenex, and I should be using albueterol. Maybe now that it will be availible in an inhaler I have it for just when I need a little boost.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #8

celtic_mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondy2061h
Woohoo!!!! I was really interested in Xopenex, because Albueterol makes me sick to my stomach and shaky and tachycardic. I asked my doctor to let me try xopenex, but she said my asthma is too severe for xopenex, and I should be using albueterol. Maybe now that it will be availible in an inhaler I have it for just when I need a little boost.
Interestingly enough, when I was in the hospital I had very little response to two albuterol neb treatments, while the first xopenex treatment gave me significant relief. I was under the impression that xopenex was a better treatment - period (just more expensive, that's why it's not used as much). Plus, I, like you, had horrible tachycardia and shakes on the albuterol. I was told that the xopenex is a lot easier on your heart than albuterol.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Interesting. I wouldn't imagine cost is an issue, because I have great insurance and my doctor readily put my sister on it (she had bronchitis, but doesn't have asthma). I then asked to go on it too, and they said that medicine needs to shake you up a bit to work, and that xopenex would do nothing for me. Maybe I'll ask again next time I go.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Oh yes, and last time I was in the ER it took 6 albueterol treatments, 2 doses of pred, and 3 inhaled steriod treatments to bring me out of the attack, and no one even thought to try xopenex.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #11

annonymousely HB User

when i had my last asthma attack i was given 3 nebs to begin with, all ventolin, and my heart rate tripled. is this what the rest of you found aswell?

Old 03-21-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

I've had my heart rate come close to 200 when given back-to-back albuterol nebs in the ER.

By the way, Xopenex is just albuterol without the isomer that causes tachycardia, shaking, and dizziness. It does the same thing as albuterol -- neither of them are stronger than the other.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondy2061h
Oh yes, and last time I was in the ER it took 6 albueterol treatments, 2 doses of pred, and 3 inhaled steriod treatments to bring me out of the attack, and no one even thought to try xopenex.
I don't think Xopenex is readily available at hospitals.

Are you sure you've had inhaled steroids in the ER? They're not supposed to be used in emergency situations.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #14

celtic_mom HB User

Swimfast - I definitely had xopenex in the hospital and while I know that it is albuterol w/o the isomer, I also know that it worked to stop my attack whereas two (or three, can't remember) albuterol nebs only lasted about 45 minutes to an hour tops.

One question I have is why if it is the same strength, is the normal dosage supposed to be every 8 hours when the albuterol nebs are every 4. During the attack, while in the hospital they were going to give me albuterol every two hours (but I never made it that long), but when they switched to xopenex the orders went to every 4 hours (and I had no problem lasting that long). To me that suggests that the xopenex is indeed more potent.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

(Oops, wrong thread. :x)

Last edited by jerrie97; 03-21-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Closed Thread