It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
(female)

Gibsgirl32 HB User
Exclamation Please help!! year old asthmatic keeps coughing, can't tell if asthma attack!

Hi All,
My 2 year old has had asthma since she was 6mo. old. She has it real bad and has had attacks that put her into serious respiratory distress. Right now she has a terrible cough that won't quit. I can't even tell if she's weezing or not. And believe me, I know what it sounds like (I have asthma too). Her inhalers don't work and neither does the nebulizer. Could this just be a bad cough?
Gibsgirl32

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: Please help!! year old asthmatic keeps coughing, can't tell if asthma attack!

I would try and get in with the pediatrician. Could be bronchitis that can make asthma worse. She may need a prednisone burst.

Last edited by blondy2061h; 03-18-2005 at 03:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #3

jasmyn04 HB User
Re: Please help!! year old asthmatic keeps coughing, can't tell if asthma attack!

I've had asthma since god knows when. But anyway, in the winter I got bad mucus and it made me cough alot, this is because the lungs are trying to get rid of it. My mom would encourage me to cough to get the mucus out. Maybe thats your daughters problem? Perhaps she needs stronger medicene? Coughing is sometimes a sign of an asthma attack. Of coarse it could be just your common cough, not asthma related. Has she been out in the cold alot, cold was (and still is) an enemy to my asthma. When my asthma was really bad, my mom had to request that I stay inside during recess if it was cold.

It could be alot of things. Ask a doctor to be sure and safe.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

When my son was very young, he would cough when he was trying to get air. Please see a doctor.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
(female)

Gibsgirl32 HB User

Hi Everyone!
Thanks so much for all your replies! I took her to doctor yesterday. No wheezing!! He says just a cough. I will keep her on her nebulizer treatments, cause I know how fast it can lead to an attack.
Thanks again
gibsgirl

Old 03-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
(female)

Gibsgirl32 HB User
Angry Re: Please help!! year old asthmatic keeps coughing, can't tell if asthma attack!

Well, we had an attack last night and ended in a trip to the ER. Really stinks!! Just have to keep an eye on her.

gibsgirl

Old 03-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #7

jasmyn04 HB User

When I got attacks they usually happened at night. Be thankful you KNOW she has asthma, my idiot doctors didn't find out until I was about 5 years old curled up in pain, barely breathing. I had asthma since I was born

Let me tell you my story, just to re assure that she'll be fine. My asthma was so bad, they had to test me twice for cyctic fibrosis! I was so close. I had to take a nebulizer three times a day, there were times when my peak flow got really low and it was scary. But little girls are fighters.

We kept on with my nebulizer, soon I only took it twice a day, then just once, then I only took inhalers. I got better as I got older. You just have to be patient. Along with my battle I had eczema and allergies. I fought asthma, as a young child 0-5... with no treatment.

Yet I still played just as much (actually more) than any child. I was the one who pushed the marry go round fastest lol. Nobody even knew I had asthma once it was under control.

Today I'm 18, I take Advair twice a day. I forget that I even have asthma, sometimes so much that I have to remind myself to take my inhaler lol.

What I'm trying to tell you is your daughter is a fighter too. She will be just fine, like me. The only difference will be she might have to take a little time out to do a nebulizer treatment, visit the doctor or take an inhaler before exercize.

Some children even grow out of their asthma Just try to be calm during the tough times, they will pass and keep knowing that even though she is a little one.. she's strong and she can win

I hope I helped some. Good luck

Closed Thread