It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

jeweles HB User
Unhappy asthma? and flying

I've been reading these boards a lot and never seen a question like this. I will start by telling you my symptoms. I get short of breath a lot-almost all the time lately. I also have acid reflux,which I take Protonix.I have been tested for allergies,only hey fever.I take advair 250/50 and albuterol when needed. Sometimes I take it so much that I get jittery and it still doesn't help.My doctor says that if it helps eventually then he's not worried.Symptoms act up mostly at night,I think due to the acid reflux. I have been on Prednisone 10mg 3 times a day for 5 days and I still don't feel better.Still short of breath all the time. I'm not even sure if I have asthma,doctor really didn't say. My question is- I'm going on a vacation in 1 month and am scared to fly for fear I won't be able to breathe on the 5 hour flight. At least when I'm home I can go to the ER if needed, but not on the plane.I almost want to cancel the trip.I'm making another appt. with the doctor this week but it feels like it will never get better. I've had these symptoms for a few years now and nothing seems to help a lot. Any advice would be extremely appreciated-thanks!

Old 04-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User
Re: asthma? and flying

This can be scary. It's something I have given thought too- only I went to Australia for a total of about 30-40 hours in the air. Anyways, plans do have medical equipment on board, like oxygen, and probably nebulizers too. I'm sure you could take your own nebulizer and find a way to plug it in if necessary, or get a battery operated one. If they had to they would land at the nearest airport, which is never far. Also, there is almost always someone on board with medical training. Of course, take your albueterol inhaler. Remain calm, it will help. Most of all, enjoy your trip!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
(female)

jeweles HB User
Re: asthma? and flying

Another question-The doctor that I see is a immunologist. I first went there for the acid reflux(thinking it was an allergic reaction due to the symptoms).Anyway, would it be better if I went to a pulmonologist? The doctor I see now is very thourough but I just don't seem to feel better. He does listen to me and is trying to be helpful. I had different tests and he always wants me to make follow-up appts. Just wish there was an end in sight.

Closed Thread