It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
(female)

dolphins HB User
Noisy/loud breath sounds on auscultation

Okay, so I was aulcultating my lungs late this moring due to increase in asthma symptoms and curiosty to hear what my lungs sounded like.

Before ventolin my breath sounds seemed rather loud inspiration & expiration (I only listented to the lower lobes), nil wheezes. After ventolin breath sounds seemed to be quiter and more smooth & no sob.

Anyway know if this is common of asthma, or maybe something else?
Thanks.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #2
(female)

RTStudent HB User
Re: Noisy/loud breath sounds on auscultation

In healthy individuals the sounds heard over the trachea (wind pipe) are loud, high pitched with expiratory heard equal to or slightly longer than the inspiratory.

Over the upper half of the sternum on the anterior chest and between the scapulae on the posterior chest the sounds are not as loud and are slightly lower in pitch. They have equal inspiratory and expiratory. aka bronchovesicular

When auscultatin over the lung parenchyma (tissue) of a healthy individual soft, muffled sounds are heard, referred to as vesicular breath sounds. They are lower in pitch and intensity than the bronchovesicular. They are heard primarily during inhalation with only a minimal exhalation component.

It is hard to say with out actually listening to them myself. but above is what the norm should be according to Egan's fundamentals of respiratory care.

Hope this helps

~ when in doubt ask your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 02:52 AM   #3
(female)

dolphins HB User
Re: Noisy/loud breath sounds on auscultation

Thanks for the explanation.

I've actually printed this out (v. useful info)... I'm a first yr nursing student & we have been doing a little bit about auscultation (as pasrt of the nursing process).

Closed Thread