It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
(male)

newmoon HB User
Predisone and Growth

Can prednisone stunt growth in an asthmatic child if it is only taken for 3 days at a low dose?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

tip2mol HB User
Re: Predisone and Growth

No- Prednisone will not stunt growth at a low dose, and only taken for three days. Where the stunting of growth would occur is for those children that have to take high doses of prednisone for long term (and frequently).
A 3 day dose is very minor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
(female)

regionals18 HB User

how about at a 20 dose for 7 days and two times at 5 for 7 days would this cause it

Old 04-07-2005, 01:00 AM   #4
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

No that dose would not stunt growth at all! I know you are worried Mom, but relax!!!
The time to worry about that is if you child needs prednisone for months periods at a time and at higher doses-- and this being a continuing pattern of needing it every few months.
Unfortunately- some children (due to various reasons) need prednison for many months at a time and then will be off of it and turn aroun a few months later and need it again for extended periods- with this being a pattern due to their disease process/affliction.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:23 AM   #5
(female)

MelissaNC HB User

Also, they were talking about this on the news the other day, Prednisone and the likes are a totally different kind of steroid than what the athletes take to bulk up and such (which is the type that is most famous for stunting growth if taken when young). Prednisone is a CORTICO-steroid used to lessen inflamation, and the others are ANABOLIC steroids which change the body's metabolism. Unless your child had to be on the corticosteroids for a long, long time, I wouldn't worry about it. Your doctor should be on top of all of that, as would the pharmacist if you used the same one each time, and I'm sure that they would keep it within safe limits.

Melissa

Old 04-08-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
(female)

MelissaNC HB User

I just went searching, and found a great article that might help. Go to: [url]http://www.memorialcare.com/stories/steroids.cfm[/url] ...hope it answers some questions for you!

Melissa

Old 06-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
(male)

newmoon HB User

Thanks for your responses.

Closed Thread