It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
(male)

flickfire HB User
Cool using singulair

Does anyone have any advice on using Singulair? My allergist prescribed Advair to help relieve throat tightness that I experience daily( I have allergies to nuts, fish, molds, dust, pet dander, pollen), and I take Allegra in the morning, and use Albuterol and Claritin at least once a day, to help take away the throat tightness, which is my major allergic reaction to these things.

I also get bronchospasms when I'm exposed to too much dust, air freshners and cigarette smoke. I started taking the Advair twice a day, in the morning and at night, as prescribed, when I noticed I would get severe chest tightness, making it hard for me to breathe. I've quit it since, and the chest tightness went away. But I'm leery to take the Singulair, afraid that it might cause the same reaction that the Advair did. I know I should talk to my allergist about this, but I just wanted to get some advice from people who have probably taken it. He just gave me some samples of Singulair to take, no prescription for it. I appreciate any advice on this subject.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
(female)

JustMeInID HB User
Re: using singulair

Give the Singulair a try. I've been taking it for asthma for years now, and I've had no more trips to the ER for breathing treatments. In my opinion, it's a miracle drug.

Don't forget that it's not used like albuterol, for example. It must be taken every day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

Just to add to it, Singulair is also truly wonderful for allergies and sinus problems as it blocks leukotrines. I take it for that reason and it helps greatly.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I agree with the miracle drug part. I was finally able to go back to normal activities after getting asthma after starting it.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
(female)

steph1pk HB User

I have had no problems with Singulair. Advair however, caused heart palpitations - my heart would speed up to over 100 when I was just sitting relaxing. It did help the breathing - but I guess its a trade off. I would like to have normal breathing AND a normal heart rate though.
Singulair hasn't caused any issues for me. Not sure if it has helped - perhaps, but since I work in a mold environment, that causes me major breathing problems.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

I am on singulair for not only reactive airway disease but also for chronic sinus problems. This is a wonderful medication and I have had no side effects with it what-so-ever. I have taken it for 2 years now.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:27 AM   #7
(female)

MelissaNC HB User

I've been on Singulair for almost two weeks now, and Advair for 4 days, and so far so well with both. My allergies were really causing havoc with my asthma, and the Atrovent that I was on was just making things worse. My doc gave me the Singulair for bedtime, which is helping *some* of the allergies (I'm still getting itchy burning eyes really badly), and then gave me the Advair to replace the Atrovent. I have to say that I like the Advair so much better...it doesn't cause the reflux that I was getting with the Atrovent, and it's helping me use the Albuterol inhaler less often, which is the goal.

Melissa

Old 04-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #8
(female)

derby HB User

I've been on singulair for about 1 1/2 years. The only side effect I noticed in the beginning was headaches. I was then taking it in the morning. My Dr then had me try taking it at night to avoid headaches. It really did help with them. I always dread starting new meds because of my possible reaction/side effects. I am fine on the singulair. Good luck to you.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
(female)

DITAB HB User

I'm so envious of those who had such success with Singulair. I have tried it twice with terrible results -- one time getting very severe bronchitis. Has anyone experienced this -- violent coughing after taking it??
Diana

Old 05-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #10
(female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

i think im doing well with singular and the pollen is crazy high here! no side effects. zyrtec made me tired, so i stopped that. claritin, allegra etc worked like crap for me. so now my regime is advair, singular, and flonase and allergy shots. also advair almost gave me a heart attack the first time i took it. I had worked out and had some black tea in the a.m (which never gave me a caffeine rush). after i came back fromt the gym i could barely stand up. so i gave up caffeeine and gave the advair time to work and never expereincd this again.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Hi,

I was reading your post- and would encourage you to look up vocal cord dysfunction. Your symptoms really are very similiar to mine- and initially I was diagnosed as having asthma. I suffer from a very severe allergic response and have chronic sinus problems. This all irritates the vocal cords.
I was sent to a major research hospital and it is there where they found out that I had vocal cord dysfunction.
If you need more information on this- please just post on here again and I will respond.

Take care

Old 05-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #12
(female)

steph1pk HB User

I also had a bad experience with Advair - about the third or fourth day of taking it (and I only used it once a day - not twice) - my heart was beating what seemed like 200 miles per hour!!! I stopped using it. Maybe if I had given it a chance for longer, my body might have grown accustomed.

Closed Thread