It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #1

boolsae HB User
Life span of asthma sufferers

I've had asthma symptoms for the last 3 years now, after being healthy before.

It has made me wonder, can people live long, otherwise healthy and productive lives with asthma into old age? Or is your life span invariably shortened a bit by this condition?

Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
(male)

zippy_mouse HB User
Re: Life span of asthma sufferers

I think it depends on how the person has managed his/her asthma.
Asthma is, as some say, a vicious-cycle disease. Bad lifestyle habits, serious airway inflammation, airway remodeling, side effects of strong medications and complications of asthma. Without doubt, we have to take steps to break out of the vicious cycle as early as possible.
Early intervention is effective to prevent the airway remodeling.
Medical science is making advances. New effective and safer medications will come out. Perhaps comletely new approaches to asthma treatment might become available in the near future, considering that the research on gene and
asthma, stress and asthma and diet and asthma is going on.
Of course, good management is the key. Knowledge saves. Be well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

lovetobewell HB User

I am 57 and i have had severe asthma since i was 30. Mine is the kind that my feet turn blue. I use nebulizer and singular. I have had steroids and just about everything there is to take. I have had a heart attack, anxiety depression, and back problems. I just keep plugging along.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #4

boolsae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobewell
I am 57 and i have had severe asthma since i was 30. Mine is the kind that my feet turn blue. I use nebulizer and singular. I have had steroids and just about everything there is to take. I have had a heart attack, anxiety depression, and back problems. I just keep plugging along.
Wow, kudos to you for chugging along.

if you don't mind me asking, how has your quality of life been since you were diagnosed with asthma? Over the last 30 years or so, have you been able live your life as if you were perfectly healthy? Or have there been interferences in your personal life, such as in your job

Closed Thread